Shift knob question

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if from the factory there was ever anything else installed on an E9 besides the plain wood shift knob without emblem?

I thought there wasn't but because I see so many shift knobs with emblems floating around I'm beginning to wonder.

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
gear knob

Philippe,

My 1972 CSL still has the same plain knob it came with. Looks good to me. Best wishes, John

Philippe db

Reaction score
The BMW Accessories brochures show wood and leather knobs with Roundels as available.

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris is there a date on that accessories brochure? Or maybe a picture of the one with emblem.

Does anybody have an E9 sales brochure depicting a shifter with emblem?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lorenzo posted this in the Automobilia thread, 1970.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 279

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,

The leather variant seems a match to what Christoph Bier offers.

Attachments

• Gear knob.JPG
    Gear knob.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 234

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I remember a thread where this was discussed, the plain wood shift knob was stock, the logo'd ones were available as an accessory.

Philippe db

Reaction score
I remember a thread where this was discussed, the plain wood shift knob was stock, the logo'd ones were available as an accessory.

That was my idea as well but I wasn't sure so hence the question.

The ones with emblem you see pop up from time to time on German eBay but try finding an original plain wood shifter for an E9. So far I simply never encountered one.

The one I now have is the reproduction from coupeking but if anybody ever has an original one in good condition that he doesn't need please think of me.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, I've been looking for a nice original plain one for years - no luck. I have a repro plain wood, logo wood, and logo leather (came on car) and I rotate based on mood.

The ones with emblem you see pop up from time to time on German eBay but try finding an original plain wood shifter for an E9. So far I simply never encountered one.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Chris.

Recognizable story Steve,

The Cs came with leather & emblem, replaced that with plain wood. The Csi had a weird wood knob with logo & M stripes, replaced that with one with a normal emblem. And recently picked up a NOS wood emblem knob. With the Csi gone I know have 4 knobs to choose from but no original plain wood example.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Lloyd.

Post face lift model and plain wood.

Which brochure are they commig from, must be a Dutch or Belgian publication. Very nice and first time I see this.

MMercury

Reaction score

Speaking of the Zuider Zee . . .

To best of my knowledge this tulip-shaped knob was original in '73.
picture.php

Different shaped knobs. Only tulip-shape is original. Others are later vintage.
picture.php

MMercury

Reaction score
I think the recessed Roundel with chrome at the bottom indicates an aftermarket leather knob.

I recall seeing paperwork stating that the original purchaser paid an extra DM (or two) for a "leder" knob when the subject vehicle was delivered in Mannheim. The other options listed were "leder" upholstery, fog lamps and radio. The term "original" was used because, to the original owner, that is how he ordered and received the car. It is unclear after many years whether the options were installed at the factory or by the dealer. I am familiar with common place Amco shift knobs - sold when the cars were new - and I do not believe the pictured knob is that brand, nor do I think it would have been a likely choice from the dealer or the factory at that time. However, since the factory outsourced production of some of its parts, who knows, perhaps the knob has some Amco DNA? (BTW, I think Vasek had that brand in their Porsche parts area.)

Use of the "aftermarket" label may or may not be accurate depending upon how the term is defined. For example, a car could be ordered from a dealer with various extras as part of an accessory catalog sanctioned by the factory. Those (secondary market) extras were mostly installed by the dealer at additional markup and profit. Arguably, those extras are aftermarket, but not in every case. If a dealer added FPS aluminum wheels (often found on E9s) to an E3 before selling the car to the original purchaser, are the wheels aftermarket? The purchaser would probably contend his car and the wheels were all original.

Conventional wisdom is that most often, dealers received whatever the factory, and to a lesser degree, M. Hoffman, deigned appropriate and available. But there were clearly exceptions, depending upon the local markets and local demand. "Plum" dealers probably got more plums. Same with customers. Certain customers may have had more clout than others and could get knowledgeable/influential dealers to order (and/or have installed) equipment that was not on the average order sheet. This may have included getting the factory to change interiors or include a different than usual axle ratio, or installation of snow or other specialty tires instead of "regular" XWX's.

knob.jpg

Shift-OnSide.jpg

IMG_20130920_141929_zps3f4ae69d.jpg

6F5A7571-E34B-4C72-8856-4C14B2C009EB_zpsvthcdqda.jpg

csshiftknobs.jpg%7Eoriginal

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you nailed it with Amco, I've never seen a BMW knob with a chrome base. I don't think anyone would argue that FPS wheels were aftermarket, they are stamped with the BMW logo. Amco accessories were very common, available at places like Vilem B Hahn, MG Mitten and others.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is what I removed from the Cs when it bought it.

Italian made by "Personal"

IMO for sure after market

Attachments

• IMG_5590.JPG
    IMG_5590.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    584.6 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5592.JPG
    IMG_5592.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 173