Shelf Life NOS Suspension Bushings

Jan Gullett

Reaction score
I was contemplating use of some NOS rubber trailing link suspension bushings front and rear that have been stored in a box and sealed plastic bag in a dark, room temperature spot in my garage.

Anyone know the shelf life of these items? Is there any way to determine date of production from OEM packaging?

MMercury

Reaction score
I was contemplating use of some NOS rubber trailing link suspension bushings front and rear that have been stored in a box and sealed plastic bag in a dark, room temperature spot in my garage.

Anyone know the shelf life of these items? Is there any way to determine date of production from OEM packaging?

Hard to say whether you can judge any bush by its cover, even new ones. :wink:

Anecdotally, many vehicles sport original 40+ y/o bushings. (One wonders whether the manufacturer of both the vehicle and the individual components ever considered this as a possibility, let alone a probability.) The existence of such vehicles suggests that unprotected OEM bushings, generally, could withstand years of use. In turn, rubber bushings sheltered from light, heat, ozone, solvents and physical stress - probably have a lengthy shelf life. How long is anyone's guess.

It goes without saying that before using new-old-stock rubber bushings, it would be wise to compare the look and pliancy of those items with current (and presumably newer) product. Obviously, there are no guarantees.

I am not aware of a publicly available and reliable database/s for bushing failures, but it would not be surprising to learn that even new rubber bushes fail, especially upon severe compression or distortion - often during installation. Despite outward appearances, not all bushings are equal. (Hence the never-ending debate over preferences for Lemfoerder, Febi, Meyle, etc.) Different batches from different manufacturers made all over the world under differing conditions - may result in slightly different rubber compositions, yielding different properties, including longevity. The same variables apply to curing, packaging, handling and "repackaging." Consider that you may have received a pristine and hermetically sealed bushing. Did the product also sit in the sun on a hot loading dock, or the hot hold of a cargo ship? Could the product have been re-branded and/or repackaged to make it more marketable? How many times? (
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/132482-lemfoerder-febi-meyle-whos-best.html)

Determining the date of manufacture and/or packaging, especially for products that are decades old, can be problematic. Embossed or painted markings are not always legible. Even if legible, the markings are not easily decipherable, and manufacturers and resellers typically keep related information in-house. Public safety, especially involving food/human consumption often trumps a sellers' interest in safeguarding this data. Interestingly, in the case of some auto consumables, such as tires, manufacture dates are available. Similarly, solid rubber giubos often bear a calendar date, but I am unaware of those markings on rubber bushings. My knowledge is extremely limited on this subject. However, if you have legible markings, there may be folks viewing your post who can decipher the markings, or better illuminate the subject. So, try posting a picture or two. You never know. :wink:

hth

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
http://www.desser.com/faq_tiretube.php
http://www.epm.com/storage.htm

guibo_number1.jpg
IMG_0207.JPG

pics3252010005.jpg

e30guibo.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg

Last edited:

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
As usual MM is pretty much on the money. I think the point about bushes surviving while in use is best but obviously not a rule as MM cautions. I have a garage queen low mileage car that is on original bushes from 1989 and when you go under it they look perfect and on the road it feels like new in every way.

I would not hesitate to use these and i think W&N was founded on the principle of selling old NOS parts sourced from BMW dealers.

Regards,

Rohan

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
NOS bushes--

I wouldn't be afraid of installing them if I needed a set for BLUMAX--my original ones from September of 1969--BLUMAX's build date--lasted 375,000 miles. How much and what kind of driving will you be doing? And I would venture that the ones you have stored likely won't crumble under normal driving for many thousands of miles.

I have the impression that MM has painted a rather black story as to their fragility and implication of being so vulnerable to serious deterioration from all sorts of storage conditions--not those you describe. Agreed that seriously hot storage conditions may cause them to be less than viable. In my 40 years of E-9 ownership I have as yet to see such decay as implied by his posting and don't buy that they have or will in your described storage conditions.

If in doubt buy new bushes from the BMW dealer.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Unlike some wines, rubber does not improve with age. Rubber, by its very nature, will get harder, more brittle, and less flexible with age. I am no chemist, but I do know that rubber is pliant because it is comprised of polymer chains where there are few cross-links between the chains to restrain them. With age comes some unavoidable exposure to the elements and alas, degradation of the properties we value in rubber. Sealing and storing the rubber can no doubt deter the degradation, but like someone else noted, it is hard to say how much and for how long. Here, the proof would be in the ride.

The above tire link is apropos. The thinking is that tires more than six years old should be replaced for safety reasons. Whether this is an axiom that should be religiously followed, is up for debate. Nevertheless, common sense tells me that a new tire is going to be more flexible than an old one. The harder tire will probably provide less rolling resistance, but this will come at the expense of a harder ride and maybe a tire that is more prone to failure or vulnerable to road hazards. For similar reasons, I would want to use the newest rubber products available, and that includes bushings.

From personal experience, I have replaced bushings on old BMWs, including E3s, E9s and 2002s. While bushings did not look deformed and they seemed to be performing well after 20+ years of service, after changing them out, the difference in ride quality has been noticeable. I have to disagree with the idea of not having any qualms about using new old stock bushings. Just like the box of chocolates, you never quite know what you are going to get until you taste the bushings by installing them. I have seen front strut mounts that had been shrink wrapped for fifteen years look perfect before installation. Shortly after installation they developed cracks and showed obvious signs of deformation. These mounts could have been defective had they been installed years earlier. There is no way of knowing. Still, it is more likely that age had something to do with their failure.

To the issue at hand, for a pleasure ride I would probably use the sealed bushings. This would include the appreciation that the ride might suffer slightly and I might have to replace the bushings sooner than I might with newer-made bushings. (Similar arguments might be made concerning the use of urethane vs. rubber.) Much of my decision is based upon guess work. Unless you follow the custody chain for a perishable part from its first production until it falls into your trunk, you cannot say with certainty how it has been treated or mistreated. This could mean the difference between two identical parts having different longevities. Parenthetically, I might also use tires that have reached their so-called maturity dates. I have also been known to consume old beer, old pastries, and leftovers. I am a gambler. :lol:.