Sending large but light parcels

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
A question for the hive mind

I have two large but very light boxes, one going to NJ and one to the UK. Both are paintings which are gifts to each of my sons.

I tried FedEx and they were $1,100 for the one to the UK and almost $800 to NJ, both from Seattle

Sizes are 58" x 41" x 5" to UK

63"x 46" x 8" to NJ

I tried Parcel Monkey and they claim no carriers on their network will accept them

any ideas would be appreciated folks

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pete, we are all waiting by our UPS and fedex stores for the numbers on both packages via Pirate Ship. At my local USPO if I am an inch over for any dimension the cost goes ballistic.

How about having them professionally rolled and put in a tube. If anyone does that kind of thing. Am I just making a bad joke or asking a dumb question?

Steve

junkyardhero

Reaction score
Pete, we are all waiting by our UPS and fedex stores for the numbers on both packages via Pirate Ship. At my local USPO if I am an inch over for any dimension the cost goes ballistic.

How about having them professionally rolled and put in a tube. If anyone does that kind of thing. Am I just making a bad joke or asking a dumb question?

Steve
if you do roll them and use a tube, make or find a box for the tube to fit in. major sorting facilities conveyor systems don't like tubes because they tend to roll off or around making it a pain in the ass for the workers to wrangle the piece and usually wind up having to walk it to destination. this increases the chances of your stuff getting damaged or lost.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a friend in the art storage/installation/delivery business. I'll ask him for recommendations. A couple of questions: Are the paintings framed? Are they very valuable (no specifics necessary)?

-Dan

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got a friend in the art storage/installation/delivery business. I'll ask him for recommendations. A couple of questions: Are the paintings framed? Are they very valuable (no specifics necessary)?

-Dan
Not framed as such, basically on normal wooden stretchers for canvas and then a a basic 1/2 inch (on side view) x 2inch wood edging

Not very valuable as paintings go, value about 5k each

Thanks everybody above for suggestions and ideas, surprised how expensive this is when you think as Andrew says, its around the price of a cheap flight, well maybe not to the UK, but definitely to NJ, wish the planes would take them

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Consider shipping in bicycle boxes. A friend of mine told me that shipping bicycles for bike trips is not that expensive. My local bike shop gives away boxes for free.

Obviously, you would have to put something else in the box to maintain its integrity in transit, but its worth a shot.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have to be aware that most large packages will require a customs broker to spring the package loose. So whatever carrier you use, question them about this I don't know if DHL goes to Europe but check them out as well

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your kindness

As an update if anybody is or will be dealing with similar issue going forward

Both @JMinPDX and @tferrer suggestion of Pirate shipping was a good shout on the one to the UK, they can do that one for $373......sadly they said the other one to NJ is too big for their carriers.

Yes, @Bert Poliakoff you are right, I got to that page where you have to get a "harmonizing" number for the customs and hit a bit of a brick wall, so I have sent them an email and hopefully I at least get the international one done in next couple of days

Thanks guys

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Too big to put in Andrew's trunk next time he drives cross country...
How about Greyhound bus? I shipped shooting that was, think it was an air dam. Would need seriously strong packing

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pete
A few years ago I had to ship a modestly large painting across the country. It was about 3x6 ft, and like yours this painting could not be rolled or folded. I visited a local art gallery that ships expensive artwork and they recommended a shipper as well as a packaging service that they use on a regular basis. The custom wooden crate cost about $120, and shipping was about $700. The shipper picked up directly from the custom crating company. I did chose to stay onsite to sign paperwork w the shipper, whose pickup was coordinated by the packaging shop. Full insurance would have been very expensive and required a professional certified appraisal at a cost of $1500-$2000 and a few weeks. Given the quality of the shipping crate, I felt ok insuring it at the max allowed without said appraisal (cost of a rust E9 project).. Overall it was very easy and the cost was a tiny fraction of a % of the value of the artwork. My backup was to fly with the crate as special cargo, but shipping it saved me an unnecessary two days of travel and $ as well.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the UK I'd check with DHL... for NJ I'd look at a Domestic Freight Forwarder (that's what I do) and companies like Craters and Freighters end up using Forwarders or LTL carriers (bad for art) to move the freight once they package it. We ship for William Traver Gallery in Seattle and the last piece I moved to NJ was 600 lbs and their bill came in under $800 so this would be a lot less than that.

If you still need assistance you can drop me a PM... I may be able to help with the UK as well once I know more details.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here’s the advice of my friend who makes a living shipping art. His company is Sheehy Fine Art Services.

“Hey Dan,

Here’s what I would recommend.

We use https://airfloatsystems.com/ for packing.

We never ship artwork FedEx or UPS…they will fuck your shit up.
We use Artemis or US Art or Dietl….it’ll cost but your work will get there safely.
What are DM’s?”

Probably not cheaper, but definitely sounds safer.