Selling our 1976 3.0 Si

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the continuing saga of clearing out the senior sixes from lessening garage space, I wanted to see if there was any interest in our 1976 3.0 Si (E3) before I braved the fun realm of Bring A Trailer. It worked out ok for the '72 E3 we sold last year, but I don't know if I have the stamina to repeat! Car is located in NW Vermont. Polaris Grey with red leather interior. 4 speed manual. Engine runs strong. Was going to fully repaint and restore but too little time. A lot of the parts necessary come with the car. Undamaged dash, new headliner, new tool kit with tools. Previous owner 6 years ago replaced fuel tank, fuel lines, clutch, rebuilt brakes and steering box. We replaced center tie rod and EGR canister. We have driven it sparingly and only during the summer. Has been stored in a heated garage under cover in a car cocoon. Leather on top of back seats is starting to crack and perish. Structurally the car is solid with no major rust, but there is small bubbling on the C pillars and left rear door. Bottom of the doors have a bit of rust. Car is a solid runner and would benefit from a new paint job. Happy to send more pictures if you DM me with interest. We are looking for around $14,000.
IMG_4128.JPG
IMG_3350.JPG

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I guess I may have missed the mark pricing the car at $14k. I'm sure I could get that at auction, but I was looking to sell it to someone who would appreciate the car within our ranks. Next stop is Facebook E3 group and a couple of potential local buyers. Hard to see why rough but reliable 2002's go for $10-15k and a reasonably rare Si that runs and handles great with the senior six in it is still held back.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I guess I may have missed the mark pricing the car at $14k. I'm sure I could get that at auction, but I was looking to sell it to someone who would appreciate the car within our ranks. Next stop is Facebook E3 group and a couple of potential local buyers. Hard to see why rough but reliable 2002's go for $10-15k and a reasonably rare Si that runs and handles great with the senior six in it is still held back.
If it was in the UK and RHD I would have made you an offer! No idea on pricing personally but best of luck with the sale

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hard to see why rough but reliable 2002's go for $10-15k and a reasonably rare Si that runs and handles great with the senior six in it is still held back.
It's the "too many doors" thing, along with size. For years I've been buying BMW's at insurance auctions and selling them as repairable cars. Projects sold as-is but we pick cars that don't need much work. 3-series cars sell. All of them, coupes, sedans, convertibles, but the 5-series and 7-series just sit here. We try not to buy many anymore and when we do they're cheap because that's seems to be the only ones we can sell.

It's just a smaller market so you have to allow more time to sell. Or lower your price. :)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is sort of good news/bad news.

The good news is they were milestone cars for BMW...they put BMW on the map with a sport sedan. They drive beautifully. Much more modern than their 50 years would suggest. They're comfortable, peppy, and have great visibility through their huge greenhouse. They are an affordable entry into the German collectable car hobby due to their relatively low price compared to other same vintage German cars.

The bad news is they have a relatively low price compared to other same vintage German cars. ;)