Selling 1970 2800CS, Tundra metallic (green teal), tan interior 87k miles

curtian4

Reaction score
Price $8,500 USD, as is.
Description:
BMW 2800CS coupe, manufactured on May 26th, 1970 and delivered on June 3rd, 1970 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City.
Odometer reads: 87,540 miles
Color: Tundra metallic paint code 068, tan leather interior. Confirmed with BMW Archives that this was the original paint color, it must have been repainted at some point because it hasn't dulled since I've had it.
Engine: 6 cylinder
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Modifications: 40DCOE triple Webers carburetors, interior seats, door cards & steering wheel are not original, spaghetti seatbelts added.

Going to be direct and not try to sugar coat anything and can follow up with any specific questions.

Details: (the not-so-great first)
  • The car does not run and needs new battery to start it
  • It's sat for at least three years
  • Rear drum brakes are seized - when I last started the car a few years ago, the rear drum brakes were seized and I didn't do anything advanced to try to release them. The car is parked in our carport at a slight incline that required the parking brake on.
  • Rubber / plastic accelerator pedal connection point broke
  • Three flat tires
  • The interior needs sorting (you'll see from photos). I have many under-dash components
More details: (pretty good)
  • Fairly minimal rust - I've taken photos of where I've found rust and I don't believe it to be significant and not in the typically DOA places. Shock towers are good, floor pans are good, rocker panels have surface rust, wheel wells have minimal rust, some rust around the top of the tail lights. There is one spot behind the passenger side front wheel that has had bubbles behind paint since I bought it but never spread or popped through.
  • Engine - when last run, was super strong
  • Headliner is good and in place
  • Paint looks good if you like Tundra metallic green.
My background with the 2800CS: I purchased the car in 2007 in Annapolis, MD, where I lived in DC. I'm thankful that members of this message board were very helpful with finding a mechanic and sourcing parts (Tom at London Auto Services in Falls Church) who I worked with to source parts and get the car into drivable condition. The car used to be my daily driver in DC and when we moved to Nashville in 2010, despite the lack of AC. After a few little ones arrived, I wanted to drive the kids in a modern safe vehicle and drove the car on the weekends, which became months, which became years. My hope was always to get back to the car which is why I selfishly kept the car too long, but priorities are just not aligning and so I must part with the 2800CS.

There's a lot here and I think it would be a great place to start for the price for anyone interested.

I haven't posted this car for sale elsewhere because I was hoping an active member here who is passionate about E9 coupes might be interested, as I am in these cars.

Posting photos of the car after washing it today to this album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aDUKKmZKLCbhNapn6

If you have any questions or are interested, please feel free to use the forum direct conversations or if they're useful for the group, down below.

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9873.jpeg

IMG_9875.jpeg

IMG_9843.jpeg

IMG_9910.jpeg

curtian4

Reaction score
Hi folks. I’m fielding some messages while juggling what’s turned out to be busy week with work and family. Please forgive my slow responses.

I’m preferring conversations with people who are interested in looking at the car, virtually or in person. Maybe I just outed myself, but that’s just my preference.

Thanks,
Alex

curtian4

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate folks reaching out. I have a few more people taking a look this weekend in person and via FaceTime, which I’m happy to do. If you’re interested, please reach out using the direct message. I will likely make a decision tonight.

70roundtail02

Reaction score
Went and met with Alex and looked at the car yesterday. Car is a really solid start.
- doors are solid
- sills are solid
- floors are solid
- there is one through rust on the drivers side rear shock tower where it joins the rear wall of the passenger compartment
- there is a through hole on the firewall passenger side up underneath the dash
- shock towers are patched but doesn’t appear to be have suffered any additional rust
- rear subframe mount area on both sides are pretty crunchy.. really my only concern

All in all it’s a great base for a start if you have the time, and space which unfortunately I don’t have.

I can solidly say if I hadn’t picked up the two e3s earlier this year off BaT I would be buying this right away.

Best of luck to the seller and to the eventual buyer know you’re getting a heck of a deal.