seat top - corner tucks

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have taken this out of the previous post, so it will be easier to find.

so i have an upholstery question as to which way is correct. at the top of the front seats, i have seen the corners done 2 different ways. in Mike's interior it looks like the side and the back have been adhered to the seat and the corner flap is folded over the top ... but in looking again, perhaps its more like the tan seat below. in a pic of Stevehose's original blue leather, it looks to be the opposite. in the cloth seat that i just took apart, the corner was tucked down first and the side and back finished the corner. then the beige seat is a hybrid, the side is put down first, then the corner ... and then the back. to me, since i know Steve's is original, and it matched the original cloth seat i took apart ... i'm guessing this is correct. so ... i am asking all people with original cars to tell us what is on your car ... and those in the know to verify.

e9 - front seat tuck 2.jpg

e9 - front seat tuck.jpg

occoupe - int 1.jpeg

Last edited:

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my '74, with original leather (which I re-upholstered) the front seat tops did not look like these pix. Re-upholstery jobs I have seen (like the pix herein) use three pieces for the seat fronts: the pleated piece, and left and right bolster pieces which require folding/tucking at the tops as shown in the pix. My seats had five pieces: the seat front (pleated) piece, left and right bolster pieces, and left and right side pieces which were seamed to the bolsters and so did not need to be folded/tucked at the tops. It is much easier to reupholster the seats with three pieces, but the give-away is the folding/tucking at the tops...
Beautiful red leather, though!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill, you are correct, the '74 seats are different ... they have an edge seam. this discussion is about the pre '74 seats

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All of the seats with vertical pleats had the folds from the factory.

I have factory unmolested blue leather seats as seen below. I have a set of black leather seats that are a bit sloppy and have been tinkered with. I have a set of velour seats with no pattern in the fabric. They are very well done but I don't know if they are factory fabric. I have seen another identical set on ebay.de.

All sets have the folds going the same way...

Blue leather, vertical pleats
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG

black leather, vertical pleats
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG

Velour, vertical pleats
IMG_0599.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well ... who's to say that BMW didn't do it differently. i know that Stevehose's blue leather is from a '72. what year are your blue seats from Mark?
tomorrow i'm going to look at my other blue fabric seat in the shed to verify that it is not different from the driver's seat - those seats are from a '71

it makes a lot of sense to do the tucks in a waterfall approach as Mark's seats show ... and what i assume that OCcoupe's seats are also doing ... as you get the cover set top to bottom, then set the sides and finish the corner. i may play with it on my seat to see what seems to work easier.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They all look the same to me!
this looks different - the rear tuck looks the same, its the front one that looks different. its opposite the rear tuck. on OCcoupe's and Markos' they are both in the same direction - the tucks face forward. Mark's picture showed a good example with the coin - which way does the coin face in the slot - Steve's appear to be opposite.

i went out to the shed and my fabric original seat, the tucks both face forward like Markos' + OCCoupe's

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, the more I look at it, and i just enlarged the pic on my computer and i think you are right - they are the same.
okay, crisis averted

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed, Steve's are the same as mine.

My blue seats are from a '73 CSI. They are vertical pleats with no headrests. I sometimes wonder if they were swapped in at some point. Most CSI's had fabric.

Either way they are definitely original. The tuck on these seats looks better than most upholstery jobs. Sadly the leather is shot. I will be documenting their dissection this fall.