Seat rework

snj5

Reaction score
Quandry

More photo documentation of seat cloth - found this excellent photo of Bert35csi's cloth interior on his 72 CSi (same year as mine). This pattern also matches the pattern found on a similar year black car, and an available BMW german milled cloth, in beige.

So, the corduroy or the checks? Perhaps the corduroy was on early cars and checks on late, then changing basic patterns in 74?

Attachments

• P1030373-2.jpg
    P1030373-2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 172

snj5

Reaction score
Arrrgh!

More photo documentation of seat cloth - found this excellent photo of Bert35csi's cloth interior on his 72 CSi (same year as mine). This pattern also matches the pattern found on a similar year black car, and an available BMW german milled cloth, in beige.

So, the corduroy or the checks? Perhaps the corduroy was on early cars and checks on late, then changing basic patterns in 74?
Belay that last, Bosun!
Just received a nice note from Bert saying that material was not original to the car.
Still more snooping to do, but the best info is now looking like Scott's color card, with a corduroy/velour.

snj5

Reaction score
goal: reproduce tan cloth interior as closely as possible, despite no original source for original type cloth known.

Here is the closest match LeBarron Bonney has (corduroy and velour). No exactly perfect, but far nearer than most:

Attachments

• IMAG0509.jpg
    IMAG0509.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 134

snj5

Reaction score
Second close match at LeBarron - TC-1 corduroy with 'Euro Camel' velour. This velour is more "glossy".

Attachments

• euro camel velour.jpg
    euro camel velour.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 130

snj5

Reaction score
Fish or cut bait time

Talked with Stefan after he examined the seats - he says most all the padding has disintegrated which explains the 'flat' feel.

*Philosophical commercial: At least to me, I would rather spend money on a great redone original seat with stock engine than have 100 extra horsepower and a crap seat.*

After looking at fabrics worldwide, the LeBarron Bonney TC-1/EXP-301 pair mentioned is the closest, and should very closely replicate the look, feel and ambiance of the original - of which, no photos seem to exist of the interior in the wild. While not quite as "golden" as Scott's excellent color card, I think this is about as good as I will find.

So, we will resculpt new seat padding, lower the seating height to about pre-74 levels, add a discrete seat heater and switch, and cover in the corduroy and velour per original configuration. I'm doing the best I can to return the car to it's original interior look (mine came with a cloth interior from factory) and having it as functionally comfortable as possible.

Hope this works.

Last edited:

snj5

Reaction score
Began seat disassembly; the foam and horsehair are in pretty poor condition, but the metal is good. Will cut some new foam to re-sculpt the seats as original. We have pretty good matches on beige corduroy, velour and leather from LeBarron Bonney to re-create the original cloth interior as best we can.

In his parts for other seats, Stefan has a rotating headrest frame, shown below. It may take a little welding, but am thinking of putting this on.

And of course, also shown below, the seat warmers. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0517.jpg
    IMAG0517.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 176

snj5

Reaction score
test fitting

We test fit the covers today in the continuing effort to reproduce the tan/beige style corduroy/velour cloth interior original to my car. All we have had to go with are very few photos, usually of other colors. It is interesting how the shade of the velour changes depending on the viewing angle.

The bottom cushion shown has not been pulled down and tight yet, but you get the idea. The new bolsters on the squab and seat really are an improvement over the deteriorated original horsehair when I test fit it today.

Also, as mentioned earlier, both upper and lower cushions have electric seat heaters. More soon, I hope.

Attachments

• seat check.jpg
    seat check.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 169

snj5

Reaction score
While delayed by my move to Ohio, the new interior is in. While it may not be perfect, we tried to replicate the original materials as closely as we could to what the car was delivered with best I can tell. We also installed several other small tweaks, such as the seats are electrically heated - very nice here in Ohio. The headrests also now include a tilt forward mechanism, which is terrific for taller folks who need to lean the seat back.
Thanks to Stefan at GTS Seats who did the work and also helped in the research.
At least to me, the new sculptured foam and cloth make the seats much much more comfortable and better fitting. And it is just so darn pretty with the corduroy and velour...

Attachments

• IMAG0612.jpg
    IMAG0612.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMAG0611.jpg
    IMAG0611.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went the other way

The soft look is very attractive and looks very comfortable. I'm envious of your heated seats and your skill in working with details. Every time I try to one-up the guys in Germany I end up buying the original part and thanking my stars I didn't destroy whatever it was that I was trying to improve. When I had the rear seats and panels re done I had to have some pieces re-made because it the board is too thick you can't even fit the clips in :-(

Anyhow, here's what I did (going from camel leather) which was completely disintegrated.

Attachments

• rear seats1.jpg
    rear seats1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 160
  • rear seats2.jpg
    rear seats2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 166

snj5

Reaction score
The soft look is very attractive and looks very comfortable. I'm envious of your heated seats and your skill in working with details. Every time I try to one-up the guys in Germany I end up buying the original part and thanking my stars I didn't destroy whatever it was that I was trying to improve. When I had the rear seats and panels re done I had to have some pieces re-made because it the board is too thick you can't even fit the clips in :-(

Anyhow, here's what I did (going from camel leather) which was completely disintegrated.
Your seats look very nice.
I seriously thought about going to black, as it is so useable and straightforward. In the end I went with the tan as it was original to the car, and seemed to fit the Tundra with a 'soft' ambience an the goal was more a GT than a CSL.