Sad News to start 2021

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The vintage BMW community has lost a dear friend this morning, Jeff d’Avanzo, founder along with John Barlow of SoCalVintage. Together they created and have hosted a gathering of over 400 vintage BMWs each fall in Van Nuys for the last 15 years or so. Jeff was outgoing, generous, kind and a good friend to so many who had the privilege of knowing him. He contracted COVID perhaps two weeks ago as well as pneumonia and was hospitalized and on a ventilator since Monday. He had appeared to improve only two days before that but the virus is so strong he had no way to fight it. He was in good health with no underlying issues and was I think 50 years old and is survived by his wife. We are truly devastated at his passing. The attached photo is the Facebook post from John with the sad news. This pandemic is not over, we all need to take it seriously.

41FB530B-3C61-4B07-BE09-F4247514A6BD.jpeg

Jeff is on the left, John is on the right
30D754C0-15F9-4E3E-A100-9AA315F796AB.jpeg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a Loss. Saddened to hear this. My condolences to his Friends and Family.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just awful. We all hope and plan to spend time with each other and our cars and then the unimaginable happens. Let’s all be safe.
Prayers for Jeff’s family and friends.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jeff and SoCalVintage were the first car community I ever met. To this day I am continually grateful for the warm welcome I got as a new vintage car owner back then. This is a terrible shock.

Barry.b

Reaction score
The vintage BMW community has lost a dear friend this morning, Jeff d’Avanzo, founder along with John Barlow of SoCalVintage. Together they created and have hosted a gathering of over 400 vintage BMWs each fall in Van Nuys for the last 15 years or so. Jeff was outgoing, generous, kind and a good friend to so many who had the privilege of knowing him. He contracted COVID perhaps two weeks ago as well as pneumonia and was hospitalized and on a ventilator since Monday. He had appeared to improve only two days before that but the virus is so strong he had no way to fight it. He was in good health with no underlying issues and was I think 50 years old and is survived by his wife. We are truly devastated at his passing. The attached photo is the Facebook post from John with the sad news. This pandemic is not over, we all need to take it seriously.

View attachment 108580
Jeff is on the left, John is on the right
View attachment 108582
My condolences to his family and friends, it is always so so sad when you loose someone , especially at such a young age
May he rest in peace.

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of Jeff’s untimely death. Fond memories of the SoCal Vintage drives he and John organized, to say nothing of the incredible effort to run the SoCal Vintage Meet every year.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. Jeff was so warm and welcoming when I met him and I was a brand new E9 owner. He regaled me with stories of his own projects, and was so welcoming to the community. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.