Roundel repaint

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After a couple adult beverages last evening, I decided to repaint my trunk roundel which I had been planning on for a while and since there is little on this subject, I'll post this. Feel free to add suggestions.

I have read about Testors 1111 Blue as being a match, the local hobby shop also had 1211 which is a spray can version and is more to my liking because I am not very patient or skilled when it comes to this stuff (espescially after the beverages). I used Testors 1245 for the white, and a black satin/semi gloss for the background.

Original faded roundel:
1R.jpg

Masked for the blue:
2R.jpg

Used wax paper over the dried blue to avoid sticking when masking for the white:
3R.jpg

Masked the circle:
4R.jpg

Starting to take shape:
5R.jpg

The finished product, scraped and sanded to reveal the metal, a couple coats of clear to protect it from when I open/close the trunk, not perfect but an improvement at under $10:
6R.jpg

Now I am looking for a hood roundel either in good shape or repaintable since mine is a plastic one.

Last edited:

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hood replacement.

Hi Steve;
I have a pretty decent hood from a 2000CS which I believe is the same as a 3.0. I am located in Ma. Please PM me or call me 508-277-8698.
Great job on the roundels.

Koopman

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not too many - I didn't put enough newspaper down and she detected slight overspray! Had to scrub with thinner/goo gone/naptha before she let me back into the house!

How many adult beverages does it take to paint on the wife's wicker table?:mrgreen:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

Be careful when closing trunk using the roundel, it can cause the pins to break. I use palm of my hand next to the roundel.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update: Roundel Paint - use Testor's 1210 not 1211

I wasn't satisifed with the blue color of my previous attempt (too dark) so I changed to Testor's 1210 spraypaint which is lighter and a much better shade - not perfect - but close. I wanted to update this for the record for anyone considering a repaint. Paint goes on a bit thick, ideally an airbrush would yield better results but this will suffice for now. Camera flash highlights the clearcoat in the photo more so than in real life.

IMG-20110730-00457.jpg

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nicely done.

I've had great success mixing Testors 1108 light blue & 1110 blue to match BMW blue, using a new roundel for reference. Painted mine with a brush, flowed on easily, looks great and no masking or overspray.

Also used 1145 white and 1147 black.

Attachments

• Roundel Paint 02.jpg
    Roundel Paint 02.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

damienh

Reaction score
Roundel paint in UK ?

Both of these DIY jobs look great. They've inspired me to give mine a go.

Does anybody have an idea of where to get a good match for the blue in the UK ?

Thanks,

Damien

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back to the top. Great job both of you. Is there any significance to the more baby blue colored roundels? Is that just fading or was there a deliberate shift to a darker blue at some point. My e9 rounders on both my cars are light blue, as is the Momo horn button that I have.

readie

Reaction score
in the UK the model paint to use is 'Humbrol' does anyone know the paint name or number using that make of paint ?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nicely done.

I've had great success mixing Testors 1108 light blue & 1110 blue to match BMW blue, using a new roundel for reference. Painted mine with a brush, flowed on easily, looks great and no masking or overspray.

Also used 1145 white and 1147 black.
Ramsey, I like the smooth paint, very nice!

damienh

Reaction score
Just revisiting this post as I want repaint another roundel. Readie - I had great success with Humbrol enamel white and navy blue with a brush, I just mixed them till I was happy. You need to be very quick though, you need to just put a big blob down, exactly the right amount first time, and push it around, or shake the badge around till it fills the quadrant, wait more than a second or two and a skin already starts to form and you end up with a mess.

Bouliac

Site Donor
Reaction score
So glad to see you did this, because it validates my own job on the rear roundel using a blend of the two Testor's blues, and a brush. I also did the hubcaps, on which the paint was completely gone. The "artisan" representation of a roundel may not be appreciated at Amelia Island or Monterey, but the woke folks at the Vintage will go for it. I'm saving my W&N account for the truly hard stuff.
John in Montreal