Rock chips ... ideas to avoid

iowa e9

Reaction score
I purchased a beautiful polaris '72 CSi that I found on this site. The car had been recently restored, including paint that is spectacular. Which brings me to my quesiton. Other than not driving the car, how can I mimimize rock chips?

Does anyone have experience with a clear bra on these vehicles? Other ideas?

Autumn 2009.jpg

MMercury

Reaction score
I purchased a beautiful polaris '72 CSi that I found on this site. The car had been recently restored, including paint that is spectacular. Which brings me to my quesiton. Other than not driving the car, how can I mimimize rock chips?

Does anyone have experience with a clear bra on these vehicles? Other ideas?

View attachment 342

No experience but you might explore this site:

http://www.invisi-guard.com/gallery.html

hth

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've used www.invisiblemask.com for a couple of my cars and was very happy with it. However, I can't find any companies that make the pre-cut kit for the coupes. I will definitely consider buying the bulk film and making my own when (and if) I find a coupe. It's well worth it.

Stefan

Reaction score
Rubber mud flaps

Best ever protection of rock chips caused by your own car tires are the rubber mud flaps!
For some, maybe esthetically reason they are not longer with us anymore :)

Can't remember I've seen any of them on any E9 for a long time....
Correct me If I'm wrong, but I think that was at least a standard (due to law?) equipment in northern Europa in the 70's.

I still got my original flaps stored in a box together with the sun roof wind deflector in case of a common different view of a good looking E9 in the future ;-)

jmackro

Reaction score

Iowa e9:

Congratulations on your new purchase.

If you want my opinion, you need to decide whether this is a show car, or a driver - you can't have both. If you are going to drive it, it's going to get munged up. Sure, put on a bra - either clear or black vinyl - but: a) the bra looks worse than the chips, and b) even with a bra, the windshield will get chipped, something else will get dinged, etc. etc. - it's a cruel world our there.

I'm not trying to be difficult here - if you chose to keep your new baby as a show car, more power to you. But coupes are a lot of fun to drive, and a few chips/dings/scrapes just add to their patina.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Make it a point of not driving behind any big trucks as they can throw a huge amount of road debris and pebbles/stones your way.

Personally, I've found newly repainted cars do not stand up very well to stone chips compared to factory paint jobs. Probably has to do with the aftermarket paint curing process . Factory uses high temperature ovens, whereas paint/body shops use infra-red heat lamps.,

From your descriptions of your CSi, did you buy Psychrunner's restored coupe?

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Congrads on your e9 Iowa,probably not to many in your area?
Hey Stefan would love to see a photo of your mud flaps!Did they make them to custom fit the wheel wells? Thanks Tim

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure I will have folks who disagree, but you don't have to decide between drive it or show it. You CAN do both if you have a high quality clear bra for full hood, front end and A pillars.

I've used these fellows and have driven at very high speeds for extended periods without a scratch, chip or nick. http://www.premiermobilegroup.com

It isn't cheap, but my guess is you didn't pay peanuts for your new car either.

I'm just saying, it is no longer one or the other. Now go get that car covered before it's too late and you put chips on that hood!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to cover that beautiful nose? Unless a coupe is only driven on and off an enclosed trailer things will happen. The mission is to drive and enjoy, not preserve for the next guy. Bras are like plastic slip covers. Ugly!

iowa e9

Reaction score
To bra or not to bra

Bert, yes, I did by Randy (Psychrunner's) e9. And I'm more and more pleased every day.

For the record, I couldn't possibly own a "show car" that I was terrified of driving. If I own it, I'm going to enjoy it running, not in my garage.

I have never owned a car with a clear bra, but I've seen many that have been well applied and seem to work well. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to look around here locally and see if I can get comfortable.

SSCustoms

Reaction score
If you can't find anybody in the Des Moines area to apply the clear bra to your car, drop me a PM. My shop in Iowa City does it.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
If you want to know all about it go to the Rennlist site..it is popular addition to Porsches since those cars sit so low and they are always getting chips. You will find as many that love them vs hate them. I wouldn't do it..car sits high enough.
Thats stuff its like using protection....it doesn't feel the same, look the same, and takes enjoyment out of one of the most pleasurable experiences known to man. Why ruin that experience....go raw, go bare, and enjoy.
abe

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
Hey Stefan would love to see a photo of your mud flaps!Did they make them to custom fit the wheel wells? Thanks Tim

This is how it looks with mudflaps when I tested them on the car. Nice or what? :)
I'm not sure if they are E9 aftermarket product because there is a (homemade) cut-out in rear left mud for the exhaust. Otherwise they fit real good.

But, I will surely will use them when participating in veteran car rallies and drifting on gravel roads :)

mudflaps.jpg

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Stefan,
Very nice looking car...but the mudflaps...well, I'll hold my tongue. Lets just say that its up there with the metal thingis you place in the same location to warn you when you are hitting the curb as you park the car. I think it takes away from the looks. However, I don't drive my car in wet muddy roads.
IMHO
abe

tmason

Reaction score
Hi Stefan
I love the look and that is exactly what I'm looking for! Do you have them off the car? If so maybe you can show me a picture on how they mount to the wheel well. I had a set on my tii, I think you can see them in the photo's I posted here. Thank You for photo's, Tim.