RM Auctions Monaco 12-May-2012: CSL

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice. Dirk, do you know if local VAT is due on a purchase for export from the EU?

Dirk

Reaction score
Nice. Dirk, do you know if local VAT is due on a purchase for export from the EU?

If it is an EU car (which this one is), the VAT is included in the price and will not be refunded upon export outside the EU.

If it is a non EU-registered car and sold in the EU and remains in the EU, the VAT has to be paid by the EU buyer. If the car is exported from the EU immediately after the sale then no VAT is due.

In any event the auctioneer's commission is subject to VAT.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting group of cars- how about that 250GT? The estimate on the city pack CSL seems about right but not much info to work with. Anyone who gets a real look at it will hopefully report back so we can relate hammer price to condition.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
VAT experience

My experience is that if the vehicle is exported without being re-registered then there's no VAT due.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
VAT only on the buyer's commission

Luis,
Sorry, but I misunderstood your question yesterday. You have to pay VAT on all service and goods consumed in the EU. So, the 12% buyers premium is taxable (making it around 14% effective). You'll also pay VAT on storage fees, transport services, etc. It's annoying but generally not a factor if you're bidding on a car. But you have so many nice ones I really don't think you need another CSL.

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Condition

frustrating lack of info and pictures. RM reports it's in overall good condition with a driver quality respray (not a bare metal restoration). Test drive results: "excellent running condition." Interior: "very good, but some parts of the door panels are dark blue." They did not comment on
(1) the padding on the inner fenders,
(2) if the drivetrain was original to the car
(3) any rust issues
(4) possibly replica wheels (no casting info in the center black area)

They had no undercarriage photos, nothing of the trunk, etc.

I feel Bonhams is doing a better job with their condition reports, which I've found to be fairly critical (as opposed to being optimistic).

Without any more info or pics, you'd need to be on-site to pay more than old driver money for this one. Who from E9coupe is there this weekend?

John

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold for 47.5k Euro

Basically $70k with buyers commission and VAT.
Was it a bargain, fairly bought, or will it be a mess when the new owner peels the onion?

Nash

Reaction score
Wishing the new owner well

I wish the new owner well, but I had this looked at by a friend who attended. Bottom of A post was really bad in corner of door shut, crack in dash, lots of bits and pieces wrong and sound proof padding covering all normal suspect areas in the engine bay, it sounded like a tired old car, ripe for a restoration.

Nash

Last edited: