Right Side View Mirror?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, there are 2 basic versions of the talbot mirror ... the one like i attached earlier in this thread and another which is more upright. this one is used more on doors than on fenders.

RB303CSR.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem with fender mounted mirrors is the small angle of view that you get of the area behind. This can be compensated somewhat by having convex mirrors installed, but then things are really small, or as they say, "Objects are closer than they appear." Without the concave mirror, there's a good chance of missing someone in your blind spot.

My 1970 2800cs has a flag mirror mounted on the driver's side. Nothing on the passenger's side.

I have bought a flag mirror for the passenger door as I really don't like driving without one. Getting older it's harder to do a good check in your blind spot quickly. The time spend with your vision averted from the course in front of you is precious. I rear ended a car that stopped behind a city bus making a passenger stop just after passing through an intersection. I was looking to change lanes, and when I looked back and saw the brake lights, the light gravel in the low spot in the road cost me valuable traction and I got to buy the guy a new bumper. The W126 Mercedes wasn't really hurt.

Anyway, averting your eyes from the road can cost you, and I want good mirrors where I can see them. I have yet to decide on the placement of the new passenger door mirror. Probably up by the vent window.

Ian

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMO...
2000 CS > fender mounts are cool but not for anything later
Early/original and super show queen CS > one single driver's side trap
All others > two flags mounted in the "euro" position
Power mirror exception > Original factory delivered dual power mirrors are cool IMO and would be even better if mounted forward in the "euro" position ) like BarryG's black mirrors on his white coupe)

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 1.50.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 1.46.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 1.45.15 PM.png

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK. It's settled. Adding one more to the passenger side and moving them both forward. I went on eBay to try and find the right passenger mirror and only saw one that looked crappy. Any ideas on where I should source this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, a brand new one can be bought for around 150 bucks from w+n. if you act very quickly and send a PM to m5bb like right now. hopefully it isn't too late.
part number is A51161821794

otherwise the freight is 49 euro

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
for anybody else that wants a right side flag mirror ... they are still available from BMW - getbmwparts has them for 171.47 bucks ... might be cheaper at another dealer that offers a higher bmwcca discount

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i sold my trap ... and the repro passenger trap. i just couldn't see out of it. if it was in the euro position, maybe ... but i couldn't see squat out of it ... i was too afraid of getting hit because of compromised vision.

w. chen

Reaction score
IMG_6250.JPG
IMG_6249.JPG
IMG_6248.JPG
Hi folks. Just putting my 2 cents. I have the trap mirrors left n right. The right was installed myself. True, these mirrors don't show much. So I don't rely on them much. It's just to make a match with the drivers side. I did break the right glass n installed a convex mirror, but still of not much use.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
nice. thanks for posting. need to get my existing right side polished now to match the new passenger.
next stop, getting proper chrome refinished on windshield wiper blade holders. going to search to see if someone started a thread on this yet.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
nice. thanks for posting. need to get my existing right side polished now to match the new passenger.
next stop, getting proper chrome refinished on windshield wiper blade holders. going to search to see if someone started a thread on this yet.

Scott, your 74 came with black wipers.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
I moved my door mirrors to the very front of the doors, now I can actually use them, in the original position you had to move your head back to see in them but now it's a natural movement, the only downside is that the car cover doesn't fit as well as it used to.

John

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the next time i do paint / body work, i want to explore moving the mirrors a few inches further forward, to the edge where you can just open the vent windows.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
maybe it's just me, but I have no trouble seeing out of the stock side mirror posiiton.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, Maybe because we are both so tall and our seats are positioned rearward it's not an issue. Mine are fine as well.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm just used to the mirrors on the 911 and the easy glances to see the lanes behind you. its not far off for me, but 3" forward would help a lot. and i, like you both, drive with my seat all the way back

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Talbot mirror is beautiful. Worth building a car around of them.

the fender mounted mirror is a british mirror that was used on the 2000cs. the mirror was made by Talbot. there are real ones for sale as well as reproductions. be aware that real ones are probably around 400 to 500 bucks each. they were originally made with either a flat mirror or a convex mirror.

Talbot-mirror-400-x-300.jpg