rhd e9 in philie for over the pond

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't know the car, never seen it on the road. But I do live a half hour from Yardley. If you can make arrangements with the owner I would take a look at it. There is a garage nearby where we could put it up in the air if you are serious and he is willing.

I can bring another coupe buddy - two pair of eyes better than one.

Let me know, Steve ONeill [email protected]

STeve

mm55mm

Reaction score
Thanks for your offer of assistance, very kind indeed. Will take you up on it if it comes to it but got hold of the guy yesterday and he already has a deposit on the car. He'll get back to me if it falls thru.

Cheers

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would love to own/drive a RHD here in the states. A buddy has a RHD Bavaria, interesting in either seat.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a RHD CSL in the US, I purchased it from Lothar Schutler in Maryland last year. Its great fun to drive and watch everybody do a double take, I also have a LHD CSL, no double takes there, just admiring glances.

Now the time for honesty, I am originally from the UK:) so driving on either side is fun, but changing gear with my left hand is just totally natural/comfortable.

I have a large family who like to drive my cars, so I insist the "car guys" drive my RHD, some of the comments have been fun, including "I kept thinking I was going to fall out, with no door at my left shoulder":-D

RHD cars are fun in the US guys, especially CSLs

Pete

rb1971

Reaction score
I have a RHD CSL in the US, I purchased it from Lothar Schutler in Maryland last year. Its great fun to drive and watch everybody do a double take, I also have a LHD CSL, no double takes there, just admiring glances.

Now the time for honesty, I am originally from the UK:) so driving on either side is fun, but changing gear with my left hand is just totally natural/comfortable.

I have a large family who like to drive my cars, so I insist the "car guys" drive my RHD, some of the comments have been fun, including "I kept thinking I was going to fall out, with no door at my left shoulder":-D

RHD cars are fun in the US guys, especially CSLs

Pete

I always have a hard time driving stick from the RHD position since I grew up in the US. Even after many years of traveling in the UK, AUS and NZ, it still takes a while to keep from hitting the door with my right hand every time I go to change gears.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you bought a car from Lothar, you bought a great car. his black 328 + polaris coupe that he brought to oktoberfest in atlanta + killed the concours. the 328 was the cover photo on the november 2009 roundel (i think that was the right month).

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
We definitely have an advantage in the UK, having Europe so close and so many LHD cars on our roads, I had LHD BMWs over there when I lived there, they were cars only available in LHD ( Z8 and Z1) and I still have the Z1 as my UK car.

Either side is now totally natural to me, which makes things fun.

Pete

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi RS,

Yes, I got lucky, its truly a wonderful car, buying from a truly honest gentleman like Lothar was a great experience, sadly there was a broker in the way, but eh, at least I got the car. I understand it won a few awards while in his care, which is nice.

He was fun to talk with and we had a very long BMW conversation, I think our good ladies had to end our conversation.

No doubt most people on this forum have experienced that :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pete,

i must not have seen the csl. the car i saw was a 73 csi, polaris + blue. it was definitely LHD.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pictures

Ok, this is my first group of posts, so putting up a picture will be a challenge, I am also traveling so do not have great pictures......I tried, lets see what happens

My RHD from Lothar is White with black, vin 2285064, wonderful pure car, looks and drives exactly how you would expect from Lothar.

I also have LHD 2275083 in White, this car was restored 19 years ago, by a race car guy in Toronto and while he put the BAT kit on it (the fashion at the time) he spent a fortune on the restoration and tweaked it just a little to make it a great driving car (as you would expect from a racer) but he respected the history and it is not much to take it back to original. He did things like Leather on the seats, painted the stripes on etc. It is set up amazingly and the restoration looks like it was done when I bought it last year.

Pete

Last edited:

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you used Lothar for service

I have a great mechanic here in Baltimore for most things, but occasionally I would like an alternative. Does Lothar work on many e9s?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi GKB,

Unfortunately,I only bought the car from Lothar, I am on the west coast, so would have no need for his servicing and cannot comment on him being good or bad. What I can say is the car I have is mechanically excellent, very tight and drives better than they did in the day, so he has the skills/knowledge to get it right, but as regards costs, customer service, timing, I cannot say.

His company is all about servicing, website www.bmwexcluservice.com

I imagine somebody on this forum has dealt with them in the past and will be able to guide you better than me.

Peter

mm55mm

Reaction score
The car is still available. as I would be bringing to NZ does anyone know a good restorer in philadelphia region or even in New Zealand?