RHD '72 csl project auction

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did they mention "matching numbers"? Seems to be the most important "must have" on these cars, the rest is standard restauration procedure
Everything is possible, needs time, a "Jaeger und Sammler" with DIY character , a good discount on W&N parts, understanding family, money etc.

Thomas

Last edited:

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Matching engine # to the CSL VIN is not a new thing... It is now and always has been a 'thing' on these cars that is important to the value of the car. The recent BaT auction just highlighted that.

scrappydog

Reaction score
Apologies if it was won by anyone on here, as I probably cost you £10k by bidding against you! Lol

I’m sad I didn’t win it, but also slightly relieved! It’s a big project to take on.

I’ve got a Tiaga Green CSL look-alike with a 5 speed and 3.5 on throttle-bodies powertrain swap. It’s a fantastic car and super fun to drive but not a CSL. So the economics for me were slightly different than a full resto. My plan would have been a full restore on the CSL body shell and swapping all the parts from my current car onto the new shell. So it would never be a matching numbers car and I’m not bothered about that; but it would be a CSL.

Good luck to the new owner and it’s great that another Tiaga green car is getting restored.

day66

Reaction score
It did look a good project, but a big one - great colour and not messed about with, but the 20 year lay-up clearly hadn't been kind to it!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll add the usual beware unseen rust disclaimer but seems a good buy. Given there are only 500 RHD cars makes me wonder how many like this are left in hiding. Cant be many?

scrappydog

Reaction score
I think you would have to assume the shell will need a lot of work. £20-30ks worth I would guess?

But searching the archives here, I believe the previous owner sold the car as a project about 10 years ago for £50k, and it looked in similar condition (albeit with an Airbox) so the new owner didn’t do too badly. If you were to do some / all of the work yourself and it’s a keeper rather than a flipper, it seems a good base for what could be a beautiful car!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you mean that it was found submerged in our English Channel ? if so I can understand why it has deteriorated
Yes I have a difficult time understanding how a car like this gets neglected to this point. Thankfully it has a chance to be reborn.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Park it outside in long grass, and the moisture/condenstation does the rest.
In the 1990's it was still just an old sports car. After 10 years of driving and 10 years outside it is not surprise if it looks like this.

And the inside of the seam where two panels meet is just covered with a bit of oil from the metal stamping production. Around the spotweld it started rusting on day one, slowly. If water crept inside it doesn't go slow. All it needs is a small opening of the paint layer somewhere along the panel joints.

Good news to the new owner ; i still have a correct NOS CSL tail panel for it. The other four thin gauge steel panels are the other hens' teeth.

and in support of the car; it does have most of it's original bits, not much seems to be missing. So it will not be a hunt for a 1000 parts. It's even got 5 super duper original Alpina's.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
French rust appearently has a more hause cuisine taste amongst true connoisseurs
French rust turns to structural rot and total collapse after 6 weeks. UK rust seems to be more superficial and occurs from driving on French beaches, if treated early it can be saved.
*Apologies if my pop culture reference is too oblique/enigmatic even for SFDon.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you always drive on the right side of wet roads your right wheels always raise the water and mud from the puddles. So your right side will deteriorate faster than your left side.
In England it must be the other way.
In Australia it doesn' t rain that much, so...

Thomas

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thin gauge panels sometimes are offered in silence, but very costly. Fenders, roofs, doors 3500€ up.
Regarding the front fenders there's a rumour (since a couple of years) that there will be new ones by BMW and that they will come in thin gauge. Praying each night before I go to bed. 20221014_141356.jpg
Outer aluminum doors panels as well as inner aluminum repair panels are available from W&N.
-dito- for complete bonnet and lid.
Rear thin gauge fenders I have never come across.
Thomas