Restored 2800cs on ebay

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
This blue car intrigues me, although I am not currently in the market. Why spend all that money and not pick a factory color? Nachtblau would have been fine. I know he is a Penn State fan, but...
Neither set of wheels appeals to me. With some Alpinas and a little lower stance, this car could be a knockout.
Lastly, does this seller really want to sell this car? Why the attitude when interested parties ask questions? I agree that BMW engines can go 200K or more between rebuilds, but eventually they do wear out, so asking about a rebuilt powertrain is perfectly legit.

See this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160428242621#description

Scott

acat2002

Reaction score
Nice restoration effort regardless of the color choice. I agree, the color is not me me either.

What is really strange is that most of the eBay description is directly poached from my car's recent eBay description:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0587439102&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Hey, I'm not complaining and am not looking for any royalties, but it sort of makes you think twice. (why not take a few minutes to describe the car in your own words since it obviously deserves such description).

At any rate, good luck to the seller and hope he gets all the money in this tough market.

bmw art car

Reaction score
he changed it up though to make it fit to his car... that's ok in my mind.
i don't always want to bother to get all journalistic over a simple listing
since paste and copy is the internets best friend :D

jmackro

Reaction score
This blue car intrigues me, although I am not currently in the market. Why spend all that money and not pick a factory color?

Why the attitude when interested parties ask questions? I agree that BMW engines can go 200K or more between rebuilds, but eventually they do wear out, so asking about a rebuilt powertrain is perfectly legit.

Scott:

Both good points. Someone did a very thorough restoration on this car. The moral seems to be that if you intend to keep a car forever, then sure, paint it the color of you choice, and install a white interior (gag!). But, if you ever plan on selling it, keep it original.

The attitude displayed in the seller's responses to prospective buyers' questions is a turn-off. Evidently, ebay doesn't administer an IQ test to open a new account.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I have spent a fair amount of time around this car and I can attest to the volume of time and effort that went into it.The car is very nicely done and as for the color choices,hey each to his own.As fellow coupe owners I would hope we could appreciate the work that has gone into this car especially considering that before the restoration began much of the car came in boxes of unlabeled parts!The car runs great and was mechanically finished off by our local central Penna. BMW guru,Jack Miller.As for the owners attitude to asinine questions,I think most E-bay listers can't help but tiring of people who don't read the listing details or want a "buy-it-now"price on a regular auction.The car is clean,sound and ready to drive anywhere and I am sad to hear the owner must sell after all he has put into it.Just my 2 cents.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I still believe it is a legitimate question to ask the cost of the restoration, documentation and reciepts of the restoration as once the new owner decides to sell the vehicle one day it is the documentation and reciepts that will help prove the car was restored and to what extent. The reciepts also let the owner know what was replaced, reconditioned or left as is for future reference. I do agree that the seller has a bad attitide and some questions asked were legitimate and the seller shut them down unfarely.