Restoration bumpers???

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I have a 72 and wondering about having the bumpers re-chromed?
I was talking to my powder coat guy and good chroming is getting really hard to find in Georgia. Lots of brokers but only one actual plant.
He tells me that a bumper could easily be $450 or more.
Looks like some new pieces are still available?
Should I buy what I can new and then deal with the pieces that are NLA and have them chromed?
Experience anyone?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
For cost comparison:
I paid about $200 per individual piece to chrome it from Faith Plating in the LA area. So, 5 pieces in the front and 4 in the back. Almost $2k for chrome. I don't know what you could possibly get for $450. I paid another $2k for the actual used parts (I had a US bumper model I converted) Also, new chrome may not look the same as the new parts you buy.

Check Carl for parts first. Reasonable price, good selection.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For cost comparison:
I paid about $200 per individual piece to chrome it from Faith Plating in the LA area. So, 5 pieces in the front and 4 in the back. Almost $2k for chrome. I don't know what you could possibly get for $450. I paid another $2k for the actual used parts (I had a US bumper model I converted) Also, new chrome may not look the same as the new parts you buy.

Check Carl for parts first. Reasonable price, good selection.

Thanks David.
Good info.
I was using the $450 as an example of what a once piece bumper from like a pick up might cost. Like you said multiple pieces ends up $$$.
I thought the matching may be an issue like you said.
Think I will do some more searching for a good plater.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i can share this price with you,
i have a local chrome expert for classic cars and bikes
six months ago i rechromed my rear bumper, complete including two overiders
it had a bit of rust underneath the bumper, and a deformation due to some old parking bump, so it needed some work prior to rechroming
they were first made straight, polished, prepared with copper and then nickel and chromed
total cost for the complete rear bumper with overriders (5 parts) was 500€
the result was excellent

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rechromed front bumper was $400 up here. None in Ma , I drove to Providence RI. These guys do only vintage cars also so are not novices.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rechroming

Bavbob,
Since I'm in your area, maybe you can answer a few questions
(1) Did your bumpers need dent repair and was there any pitting or rust?
(2) Did you have a 2 layer (nickle+chromium) or a triple layer (copper base layer used to smooth out substrate imperfections)? The OE bumpers weren't all that good to start with so I'm tending toward a triple plate with the copper coats polished out.
(3) Where on earth can you get a bumper rechromed for $400. Up in my part of MA, the front or the rear would cost around $1200 to do (or more).

John

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
For posterity, I had a 3 layer process done. I think 5 step is what they were calling Show Chrome, which I think was double what I paid.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
AFAIK all bumpers have at least three layers, copper, nickel, chrome. Don't know what a five step process would be unless they are counting the polishing which they do anyway.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
AFAIK all bumpers have at least three layers, copper, nickel, chrome. Don't know what a five step process would be unless they are counting the polishing which they do anyway.

copper, nickel, copper, nickel, chrome or maybe

copper, nickel, chrome, chrome, chrome????

Like the old Monty Python skit: Spam, spam, spam, eggs, beand and Spam doesn't have as much Spam in it!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought

If the get the copper layer built up and smoothed out to perfection, then the nickel and chrome layers are sufficient. This is how they did some old parts for me back in the UK. I think it took something like 6 layers of copper to get all the pits filled in and the shape and surface quality where it needed to be, then just 2 more layers and the parts were done. I don't understand the benefit of a second copper/nickel layering.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If the get the copper layer built up and smoothed out to perfection, then the nickel and chrome layers are sufficient. This is how they did some old parts for me back in the UK. I think it took something like 6 layers of copper to get all the pits filled in and the shape and surface quality where it needed to be, then just 2 more layers and the parts were done. I don't understand the benefit of a second copper/nickel layering.

+1
that was how my process went by, copper layers until smooth surface, and then nickel and chrome, i am not sure but i think the chrome was first and then what they called a nickel "flash",...?
i am going to do front bumpers this year to bring them to an equal finishing aspect

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is the info:
D and D Chrome Plating. 355 Dexter Street, Providence. 401 861-0621

I had few imperfections but rust on the back. Not sure how many layers. Just call them and tell them what you want. Mine was a Bavaria bumper but it is similar in size and 3 parts...Perhaps they will remember me (two years ago) and thus the size of the job to give you a price over the phone. They originally told me 600 but I told them I could get it new from Germany, shipped for less so we worked down to 400.

It is a throw back to the 30's. Nothing around, old building. They brought me right into their work area. Dave tells you "x" weeks, it's "x" weeks or less. They have been there for 30 years or more.