Replica BMW 507 Help

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wes- you know we shipped the touring to Tasmania last April in a shipping container. We are paid for this year too but unlikely to be allowed in.
We can offer some room in the container for next year which we really want to attend because of 30 year anniversary.
let me know....

When would I have to let you know by mate?

Melb507

Reaction score
@Wes - Did Pini get back to you? I enquired about their replica too, haven't got a response yet. It isn't based on the production 507, it's based on the prototype 507, which explains the misplaced indicators and larger doors, amongst other things. But their trim is pretty good and I think this would be the easiest way to get a replica 507.

Also, the molds you found in the US, are they being sold by tvellrath? I spoke about getting a copy of these molds but never got around to discussing pricing and shipping before COVID hit, then I put it on the back burner. Have you received any quotes yet?

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sent you a DM mate
@Wes - Did Pini get back to you? I enquired about their replica too, haven't got a response yet. It isn't based on the production 507, it's based on the prototype 507, which explains the misplaced indicators and larger doors, amongst other things. But their trim is pretty good and I think this would be the easiest way to get a replica 507.

Also, the molds you found in the US, are they being sold by tvellrath? I spoke about getting a copy of these molds but never got around to discussing pricing and shipping before COVID hit, then I put it on the back burner. Have you received any quotes yet?

Sent you a DM mate.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you asking for help getting access to a real 507 or to existing replicas?

Just realised I never replied. Access to a real 507 for the purpose of securing photos of how it should look would be great. Same for replicas in the context of learning from others on construction issues.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cars ship in Feb for Tasmania driving in April.
we load the container for inspection in January

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don’t start that- I’m turning the amp up to 11 so I can’t hear you....

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the people interested in BMW 507 technical details, dr Karlheinz Lange wrote extensive book about BMW 507.

1613575034630.png

Book contains many unique pictures and information... but it is in German. Quite often picture's worth more than 1000 words, so...

1613575083361.png

Can be bought for cheap used or even new on eBay.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, JLR is going after people and companies making replicas of the C and D types. In a way I’m surprised it took them this long to start protecting their brand and heritage.

Daimler stopped 300sl replicas some years ago, IIRC.

Porsche seems ok with the myriad of 356/speedster replica companies.

Which way will/should BMW go?

John

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure BMW will protect against regular replica's production unless they will gain some money out of it.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Given the lack of support the current BMW company provides to the classics, as well as the continued direction to be more plastic, electronic, and ugly, I'd honestly be surprised if they cared about replicas. They might even prefer it if they had that taken off their plate. Cynical, I know...

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could be as they can get some money selling roundels for replicas. Anyway to make some more money for nothing.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i see a replica as a fun copy car with modern tech ..... why bother with old school mechanics unless you find broken down side of the road is part of the hobby ?
it is and stays a replica, never the real thing.

I would make a 507 body and mount it on a MX5 :D