replacing chrome windshield surround

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My rear one is pretty scratched up. I have a spare set I got off a parts car that is decent and maybe worth refinishing if that is something that makes sense. I read in another thread that it is hard to install. It was certainly easy to remove and I thought installation would be the same. Am I missing something??

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very humbling experience for me- I was reduced to asking for help from a windshield guy.
So much harder to re-install.

jmackro

Reaction score
It was certainly easy to remove and I thought installation would be the same. Am I missing something??

Do you have the glass/gasket/trim out of the car, or are you attempting to install the trim with the glass/gasket still installed? If the latter, I'm not surprised you are having difficulties.

All of the components need to come out, the gasket wrapped around the glass, the trim inserted into the gasket, and then the whole assembly re-installed onto the body.

Perhaps the trim can be installed with the glass/gasket still in the car, but I'd worry about damaging the trim.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Everything is still in place at the moment, and likely to stay that way as I was just hoping to improve the cosmetics on an easy to change part. For the life of me I would have thought the chrome strip would go in last as a way of retaining the windshield. Am I understanding this correctly that the windshield is inserted with the chrome piece already in place?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I'll learn to read better.

Last edited: