Removing the panel under the steering wheel

coupelady

Reaction score
Adding to the continuing saga of the tach that needs to be reattached, my son-in-law is here to assist on this repair. We are not certain how the under panel is removed to the right of the steering wheel. Hopefully we do not have to remove the side console panel?

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My recollection (mine is a '72) is that there:
  • is a screw at the very back that fastens to the firewall that needs to be loosened
  • The drivers side glove box support wire attachment point is a fix mount point for the part
  • there is a tab with a screw into the side console that needs to be removed (not the side of the console)
those should allow you to remove the panel, but you may find that you need to loosen the under-side of the steering column as well as under-side is captured by the steering column cover.

this picture (note mine) shows the mounting points
lower dash 3.0cs.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Adding to the continuing saga of the tach that needs to be reattached, my son-in-law is here to assist on this repair. We are not certain how the under panel is removed to the right of the steering wheel. Hopefully we do not have to remove the side console panel?

puting this post in the same thread origined by this member would help to avoid the mess of throwing posts here and there

here:

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
puting this post in the same thread origined by this member would help to avoid the mess of throwing posts here and there

here:

True, but in this case it would be easier to find info about removing the cover, which would be useful to more people not related to fixing the tach. Add tags and all is good..

coupelady

Reaction score
The repair is all done. Apparently I "hired" the right team of my son-in-law ('88 M5 owner) and his Dad. The key they thought was using a suction cup we had to remove bulbs from track lightening we have in the garage which held it in place while the nuts were secured. It didn't take any time at all, did not need to remove the seat, dash or anything else. A few sandwiches later, I was able to appreciate their efforts. Yes holding your mouth right is also a key factor. Thanks to all of you who came to the table with suggestions, it is greatly appreciated. Onward, time to drive and enjoy the beautiful music.