Registry Down

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't contact jj as his address is tied to e9-driven but it's been down for two days. Wednesday we had at least ten spam attempts to register, this has been getting worse. Maybe jj will see this post or he is working to restore it perhaps.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I can't contact jj as his address is tied to e9-driven but it's been down for two days. Wednesday we had at least ten spam attempts to register, this has been getting worse. Maybe jj will see this post or he is working to restore it perhaps.

I am having serious trouble with the hosting provider for the Registry. Because of SPAM attempts through site it has been suspended and my email is down. This has happened in the past and I was able to resolve it. This time I am afraid the site must be re-implemented with newer web tools. I am going to delete all contents (it is well backed up) and attempt to get my email back up first - this will require submitting a formal document indicating that all vulnerabilities have been removed/corrected. Unfortunately the resolution/correction is far beyond my web skills.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi JJ,

I wish I could help you out with this but I'm a backend guy. I've employed a lot of sharp web developers though. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch with someone who can get a second set of eyes on bolstering the existing site, and upgrading the technology. PM me if interested.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The last time Network Solutions shut down the site (also without warning) they made me re-implement the registration process and everything slowed down. This time they are basically saying it can no longer be written in ASP and they won't consider turning it back on until all offending hacks/files are removed. To make it more interesting they have shut down my FTP access so I can't get into fix anything. They have also shut down my mail services so I can't communicate with them or anyone else. Fortunately I have some other email accounts. My current plan is to move the whole thing over to GoDaddy and I am trying to figure out the details. The entire site is well backed up (daily) so nothing is lost. If I run into issues beyond my pay grade I may reach to the community for assistance. I think I can get the site transferred in 48 to 72 hours assuming my email is functional enough to support the authorizations. I will try to post status updates.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I managed to get me email and FTP functional again. Network Solutions said it was a mistake to turn them off. I have also cleaned up the damage created by the hacker which was a condition of reinstatement. I could probably get the Network Solutions to turn the site back on but I have to explain what what happened and why it won't happen again. I suspect they wouldn't appreciate my comments in this regard. The last time they actually deleted the site as a result of an "administrative error" and the time before was because they don't like ASP sites. After they deleted the site they gave me 5 years of service for the price of 2 and there are still about 3 years left. My inclination is to simply move the site to a different provider. Now that my email works I can complete the authorization to move the service. Before I move it I want to verify a bunch of details so that I don't fall into a similar trap.

It is not clear to me how the attack happened. Somehow the attacker managed to upload malicious image into the gallery of my car. Who knows. We've only had minor hassled with bogus submissions and in general things have operated smoothly.

I appreciate all the offer to help and to support the effort financially. For now all is good and I don't mind the cost and effort for the sake of the community. Up to this point the donations have pretty much covered the reasonable costs of operating the site.

I'll keep updating until we get a resolution.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I managed to get me email and FTP functional again. Network Solutions said it was a mistake to turn them off. I have also cleaned up the damage created by the hacker which was a condition of reinstatement. I could probably get the Network Solutions to turn the site back on but I have to explain what what happened and why it won't happen again. I suspect they wouldn't appreciate my comments in this regard. The last time they actually deleted the site as a result of an "administrative error" and the time before was because they don't like ASP sites. After they deleted the site they gave me 5 years of service for the price of 2 and there are still about 3 years left. My inclination is to simply move the site to a different provider. Now that my email works I can complete the authorization to move the service. Before I move it I want to verify a bunch of details so that I don't fall into a similar trap.

It is not clear to me how the attack happened. Somehow the attacker managed to upload malicious image into the gallery of my car. Who knows. We've only had minor hassled with bogus submissions and in general things have operated smoothly.

I appreciate all the offer to help and to support the effort financially. For now all is good and I don't mind the cost and effort for the sake of the community. Up to this point the donations have pretty much covered the reasonable costs of operating the site.

I'll keep updating until we get a resolution.