Refill procedure for BMW AT with drained Torque Converter

chicane

Reaction score
What is the proper procedure for doing a full refill after a complete drain of a BMW Automatic Tranny including the Torque Converter?
The AT was removed and completely drained including the TC.

The Bentley says the fluid capacity is :
8.9 liters with (which I assume to mean including refilling the TC)
6.2 liters without

What I need to know is do I just put the entire 8.9 liters in the fill plug or do I need to put about 3 liters or so in the TC. then install? And does this seem like the correct amount of fluid because it seems like a lot.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Depends a lot on the transmission. My 540 (ZF 5HP30) takes a ton, I think ~13 L with a dry converter.

As I recall, the easiest way to do this is to fill it multiple times. So you start with the thing completely empty, fill it all you can, spin it a bit, then fill again and repeat.

siscobmw

Reaction score
I refilled torque converter a bit before reassembling.
It takes ages to fill it completely, and pay attention : on my car I filled the oil too quickly and atf went out from rear air valve breather...this on my zf 3hp 22, can't remember if the BW has got it....

I can suggest you to remove the spark plugs from the engine, and crank the engine a little, so the inner gearbox pump will start to pull the oil in the proper directions....and the oil will be filled faster....
it took me 1 day or so....

My friend removed one of the rad pipes and told me it is the fastest way to put a big amount of oil in less time, then you can fill the last 1-2 liters using the oil dipstick hole.....but never tried and don t' know if the oil comes out from that air breather....
Francesco

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fill to top of mark and fire up engine.
run 10 seconds- turn off and fill to top of mark
run engine and shift through gears - turn off and....
repeat
you can't put it in all at once- there isn't room in the pan.