Red handled screwdrivers

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
As some of you know, I am reproducing red handled screwdrivers, or at least thought i was. I ordered 500 handles, minimum order, and when they arrived they were totally made wrong, even though rhey had 2 samples. Luckily, it is a very reliable company and they are refunding my money. They made the handles to size, BUT, from an extrusion which caused the flutes in the handles to run the length of the handles instead of ending short of the butt end.

So onwards I go ,as i have 3 years wrapped up in this. I am now sending samples overseas, where I am having a mold made and the handles will be injection molded as original. Hopefully within the next 2 months. These will be the small ones and as soon as I recoup at least some of my start up money, I will do the large ones

Bwana

Reaction score
Phew, what an epic! Is there an original thread to this?

I'm in for a set if you get them made

loloe13

Reaction score
looks like a nice one too.

just want to ask more for future reference, is the smaller red screwdriver meant to have 'Heyco' on the handle too? or just 'made in W.Germany'?
I know the larger one should have 'Heyco' on it right?

I only got a nice set of the Green ones at the moment, but I am happy with that. Just taught myself to be momentarily colour-blind whenever I open the toolbox.

N/A, etc.

Seems like these are generally available if you really want one. Im seeing two for sale right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Small-R..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2322b9a444&vxp=mtr

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some of the very early screw drivers have Heyco cast into the handles, both large and small. The later ones have made in west germany on them. the later large screwdriver has heyco and the blade size stamped on them in white. The ones I will be making are the later style. I am now having a mold made for injection molodimg as they were originally made. I am having the small ones done first and after I recoupe some of my money. I will have the larger ones made.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, I am getting so screwed around on this who knows. I have a good bit of cash up, and I keep getting run around. So far I am told they are having a problem matching the color which has been going on for 6 months. So that has to be a bunch of crap. i did receive a color sample that was too orange which is telling me they are doing nothing. So maybe I have another of life's hard earned lessons.

On the other hand, I have a complete very clean tool kit with red handled screw drivers. It has one more wrench than an E3 kit and if one wants just the tools, I can give a choice of a small or large set of channel locks as I am not sure which one fits an E9 tray and there are two sizes. The later E9's, according to real oem, used the e24 cases which I have plenty of. I also have 3 allen wrenches that I came by that may or may not be for an E9, but I will throw those in as well. Only defect I can find in all of the tools is a very small crack at the top of the small scredriver which i have repaired and is almost totally un noticable. The large screw driver is the old style with Heyco cast into it rather than the white hot printed label. I will want $275 for just the tools or $300 with the case. I will include a new blue tool kit cloth made as original. Check my feedback on the tools, as I have sold 5 sets to members here and nothing but praise. Also have new small reversible blades that are the tiniest bit different than the original, but one probably wouldn't notice it unless told as the fit is totally correct. I have a bag full of these and will sell those at $15 each mailed in the USA

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Bert,
I need only the small red screwdriver and there is no rush for that. I have a perfect and complete kit for The Great White (even the pink Beru spark plugs!)