Rear Windows

chchnz

Reaction score
I have electric rears and manual front windows, on the drivers side the console button will not unstick rear window, but the back button will......Once down from fully closed both buttons fine but from fully up only the rear will retract it....Is this voltage drain or similar, presume the rear button is closer to motor, any one any thoughts?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have electric rears and manual front windows, on the drivers side the console button will not unstick rear window, but the back button will......Once down from fully closed both buttons fine but from fully up only the rear will retract it....Is this voltage drain or similar, presume the rear button is closer to motor, any one any thoughts?

you need a new button, no, i don't really know
try this, swap the buttons and check what happens

anyway the best thing would be an upgrade to relays !

you can follow my thread on the particular

regards

Last edited:

chchnz

Reaction score
Thank-you, that looks pretty involved, I think I will have to prepare myself for that one, can live with it in the meantime. I think it is more likely to be this than the switch, as it works fine any where else. I note when the glass slides home it is inboard of the housing a little at the top, so maybe sticking a little there, will have a search for glass straightening!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i will assume that is a joke, you can not straight glass

IMHO, your rear windows need some adjustment, the whole system is monted on three points, so balancing those three points you get the glass position

jmackro

Reaction score
presume the rear button is closer to motor, any one any thoughts?

Sure, the rear switch is closer to the motor than the front switch. But as deQuincey suggested, the problem is likely in the switch itself - not in the wire between the switches and the motor. The front switch probably gets a lot more use, and its contacts are now pitted/corroded. So, the front switch has more resistance, resulting in less current to the motor.

deQuincey's idea of swapping the switches is good - it will help to diagnose the problem, and since you probably use the front switch most of the time, it will sort of solve the problem. Removing the old grease, and re-lubricating the mechanism might help too.

chchnz

Reaction score
Clamp Air Guide

Thank-you all, I will try swapping switches before I blowtorch the windows......
A non working rear switch is fine, the young terrorists I am held hostage by like to incessantly push things until they stop, so this will expedite that painful process. Yes I did mean adjust the glass location, but perhaps for Stefan I will propose a g clamp from c pillar to c pillar, allowing window to track 'bent', and no doubt improving coupe rigidity.... and slightly 'bat' looking to boot....

rodspock

Reaction score
I had the same problem with windows sticking down.

They can be raised manually: You can manually unstick them by removing the plug in the interior panel and assisting the motor. There are teeth on the motor and a special tool for providing assistance.

Or electrically with new switches: I replaced all of the switches in centre console and demoted the best old ones to the rear. I have had no more sticky window problems.

Good luck.

Rod
(Brisbane)

chchnz

Reaction score
Switches

Anyone have a good source for the switches? Ebay has various at a variety of prices, are there different switches or are all the same. Also I get a horrible squeal out of the windows now and again, does not sound good at all, I am loath to use the windows until I understand what is happening, luckily kids have not yet noticed the rear switches. Has anyone any thoughts on where this noise maybe coming from? It sounds 'electrical'? as opposed to something dragging or catching.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
AutohausAZ has them cheap. The ones with ridges are for '73 and up, the plain ones with one ridge across are earlier, plus they fit different connectors - 73 and up have round pins, pre-73 have blade connectors.

Squeal is likely the plastic gear grinding away under friction from lack of lubrication, or a higher than normal whine from the motor itself also due to friction. Search the window regreasing threads from DeQuincey et al. If you don't regrease you will fry the gearbox eventually. I also suggest relays (also search for this). The first window you re-grease takes several hours to remove, clean and replace with lots of cursing and questioning the sadistic design, the second is much quicker and easier after the learning curve (an hour or so).

Anyone have a good source for the switches? Ebay has various at a variety of prices, are there different switches or are all the same. Also I get a horrible squeal out of the windows now and again, does not sound good at all, I am loath to use the windows until I understand what is happening, luckily kids have not yet noticed the rear switches. Has anyone any thoughts on where this noise maybe coming from? It sounds 'electrical'? as opposed to something dragging or catching.

chchnz

Reaction score
Cheers

Thanks Steve, I was hoping it was not this, but I guess its about time I dive on in and pull the thing apart, I have some complete second hand rear window assemblies coming, so hopefully can have a practice on them. Life wouldn't be life without some curse worthy things to fix eh?
Autohause looks good

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Squeal is likely the plastic gear grinding away under friction from lack of lubrication, or a higher than normal whine from the motor itself also due to friction. Search the window regreasing threads from DeQuincey et al. If you don't regrease you will fry the gearbox eventually. I also suggest relays (also search for this). The first window you re-grease takes several hours to remove, clean and replace with lots of cursing and questioning the sadistic design, the second is much quicker and easier after the learning curve (an hour or so).

+1 on the sadistic design, ...ha, ha, ha