Rear Window Motor Upgrade

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello All

I spent the weekend cleaning and upgrading my rear windows (73 CSi) to run on E28 motors.

A couple of years ago, I used this step-by-step process for the Front windows. I kept the old wiring system and did not add a relay system - just grounded the two front switches on the unused post connector on each switch as per the drawing below.

Now that I am doing the rear motors, the question is this: do I have to ground both the front and rear switches or just the rear?

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 114

jmackro

Reaction score
Yes, with the 2-wire motors won't function unless the motor can be connected to ground through whichever switch is actuating it. Just don't ever have the front switch in the UP position with the rear in the DOWN !

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, with the 2-wire motors won't function unless the motor can be connected to ground through whichever switch is actuating it. Just don't ever have the front switch in the UP position with the rear in the DOWN !
Got it.

I dread taking apart that front console again...

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The relays are cheap, it puts so much less load on the switches.

Is there a thorough thread describing the entire process of adding the relays?

Edited to add: before I changed out the front sardine cans, a bit of smoke from the front switches was not uncommon - so I do appreciate the load that they bear.

Thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is there a thorough thread describing the entire process of adding the relays?

Edited to add: before I changed out the front sardine cans, a bit of smoke from the front switches was not uncommon - so I do appreciate the load that they bear.

Thanks

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That is certainly thorough. Thank you.