Rear quarterlight installation

pmansson

Reaction score
In the past I have mounted the complete unit with glass and all in one piece (having the glass lowered to the bottom position). Heavy and a bit awkward.

In the blue books it suggests mechanism/regulator first, and then the glass afterwards.
I tried this briefly yesterday, but it´s hard to get the glass to slid into the rubber pads. I have glued the front (roughly square) rubber part onto the metal support. One needs to be careful with the hard, plastic tube bit that sits in the hole of the glass!
The rear rubber seal is best glued onto the glass itself.

I agree and know that the 2 mounting/securing screws need to opened to facilitate the adjustment of the glass esp in the forward/backward position to make it parallell with the rear end of the door glass.

What do others suggest?
Any don´t dos or tricks along the way?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I concluded it was easier to install the whole assembly rather than assemble it in place. Maybe I drop parts down into places that are hard to get to more than you!

kfrito789

Reaction score
The best method for me was to install the glass (window up and do not tighten the two bolts), lower glass and then install as a complete unit. Raise glass and adjust.

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
that was my approach until I read the blue books. Perhaps they were referring to just changing the glass, but even this task is probably best done with the complete assembly out of the car and placed on a table with newspapers/foam or whatever to protect the glass.

When it comes to adjusting the glass to match the door window, it is fairly easy to do the parallell (sideways) adjustment using the 2 screws, but to get the vertical ends of door window and 1/4 light perfect is more difficult. Yes we are talking about the same adjustment, but I have examples of the 2 not being completely parallel.
The 2 screws are really just for forward/backward movement but the tilt is difficult.

And then there is the art of having the door window meet the rubber on the 1/4 light with even pressure....i.e. not squished at the top and leaving a gap at the bottom (which I have on at least one car. This calls for adjustment in the door, or can it perhaps be partly done by moving the bottom of the 1/4 light window mechanisms....?