Rear Quarter Seat Belts

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I've started work on installing front inertia reel 3 point seat belts with the reel in the rear quarter inspired by Paul Cains 3.8 CSi. To date I have roughed in the reel using 2" x 3" - 1/8" plate that will be welded to the sill and sheet metal with no cutting of the opening in the quarter panel. The quarter panel was slotted for the 7/16" bolt to allow for some positioning sided to side and I'll weld the plate on all 4 edges once everything has been positioned for the finished installation. The nut for the reel anchor bolt has to be welded/epoxied on to capture the nut. Still have to put in a locator strip for the pin that holds the reel plumb using gripnuts.

The fourth picture shows the installation using the existing seat belt anchor point in the roof. http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g120/decoupe/Quarter Panel Seat Belts/

Next step is to carefully (and with great anxiety) cut the panel card to receive the plastic sleeve (72111857744) from a e21 320i ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1733&mospid=47175&btnr=72_0024&hg=72&fg=05 ) for the belt to feed through. Real OEM shows this as still available as are other parts that might be of use. I considered using the whole set I had from my 1981 320i but it was looking a little tired so ended up using a reproduction set from CoupeKing intended for the 2002.

In my case, the installation will use the roll bar front surface below the lowest dimple hole on the gusset for the top anchor point. This will be very close to plumb relative to the reel and about the right height above shoulder level of the front seat.

I'll update this when I make further progress or finish.

Doug

61porsche

Reaction score
Doug,

From your pictures ( or Cain's), it might be worthwile to form a rain shield over the retractor out of a suitable material.

Just a thought for the long run.;)

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Cover Caps

I do have the 320i cover caps (and everything else) and have been mulling over how to adapt them but want to avoid cutting the sheet metal if possible. Definitely need to protect the reels inside that space with some sort of shroud.

Doug