Rear Bilstein LOWER replacement bushings?

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Anyone out there found a suitable lower bushing replacement for rear Bilsteins? My rear shocks are fine, but the lower bushings where they mount to the trailing arms are mighty toasty.

Online there are a bunch of different ones listed here and there, but I want to get the right stuff the first time.

I have a set of E9 rear Bilsteins (BRAND NEW in box) that I can harvest these from, but I really don't want to cannibalize perfectly good, brand new shocks! ;)

*These are for an E3, but I expect the bushings to be the same for E9.

Many Thanks!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bilstein is in Poway and still selling the 24-008136
call and buy some bushings?

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Bilstein is in Poway and still selling the 24-008136
call and buy some bushings?
Thanks sfdon! I expected a PITA run-around with Bilstein... but I got an extremely helpful tech guy that gave me the part number for the bushing as well as the sleeve - and told me Summit Racing has them in stock in Ohio. I ordered them from Summit Racing for a total of $8.00 plus shipping... and once I have them in my hand, I'll be able to verify they are correct. The gamble is cheap... so we'll see!

For reference, the part numbers supplied to me are:

Bushing: E4-B46-56A
steel sleeve inside bushing: E4-B46-60U1

Cheers!

Paul

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would these also be suitable for the original Boge's? ID is probably fine but don't know about the OD.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, tech guy by the name of Junior was great. Top bushings are costly from BMW and not sold individually by Bilstein but bushings made by Bilstein for a Buick had a different part number but identical and sold alone for just a few bucks. Junior did the homework for me, called me etc.

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Well... the bushings arrived and although they are correct for COUPE rear shocks, they are considerably too small for the E3 / Bavaria shocks by quite a bit!

I'll call Bilstein and verify the application using numbers off the shock: B46-0819 again.

The ballpark size I need (according to my very-near caliper with a dead battery) is:

length: 48mm
outer diameter: 41mm
inner diameter before installation of steel sleeve: 18mm

The ones sent were smaller in every way...so if one of you needs them for your COUPE.. let me know. $15.00 including USPS Priority mail in a small flatrate $7 box. They're useless to me, as I don't expect to replace these on my CSi anytime soon.

Cheers!

Paul