Re-installing the AC evaporator

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Part 1: Preparation:

Here are the parts you will need:

AC evaporator e9.jpg
Throughly clean the air box and reinstall fresh felt around all of its leading edges to ensure good air sealing. I got rid of the foam pad which had deteriorated and did not seem to do that much anyway.
I later added a few strips of dynamat to tone down the vibrations

412AEC13-3FA2-48C7-A20E-C9CFB5544E1F.jpeg

C49470F3-5AFC-42A5-ADEE-366975568815.jpeg BF618313-59BD-49CF-8A65-CA8B04F236F0.jpeg

Disassemble the Evaporator to clean it up, removing all rotting foam and accumulated dust

AC1ECCC9-F080-4425-A5A9-6C33A6194F36.jpeg

At this point I would highly recommend getting @Blinkling ‘s upgraded evaporator guts. It’s an affordable yet significant upgrade and it will never be easier to do than now.

After re-assembly, add some sort of vibration dampening on the rounded parts outside the squirrel cages to replace the ones that were there from the factory

A170C53F-28FA-47D3-B818-1F287C97CFB1.jpeg

Throughly clean and rust proof the evaporator metal frame that sits on top of the tranny tunnel. Note that mine, as well as some others I have seen, had its front section removed by some audio terrorists (as member xxxx would say) in a past life. Fortunately that does not seem to cause problems.

Do the same for the front L bracket which will anchor the front of the evaporator unit. (NOTE: The pic on the right below shows where this L Bracket will eventually reside after the evaporator is installed. But it should not be bolted there at this point. It should be secured to the front of the evaporator unit prior to sliding it into position. Loosely tighten it there)

IMG_0129.jpg IMG_0144.jpg

Pay special attention to the the rubber drain funnel (seen above) which must be cleaned and should be brought back to life with some rubber restorer. I also cleaned the original sheet screws with WD40 because they were in good shape and I did not have new ones on hand.

3FF7A49D-A3C2-480E-A609-067DD1611224.jpeg

Install whatever sound and heat protection you plan to install on top of the tranny tunnel. In my case it was Dynamat first and Dynapad on top of that

2B58EADE-766D-41E6-8243-8C36E0317995.jpeg

Clean up and secure all electrical wires that are above where the console will go

Now is the time to install speaker wires if you plan to use those. Note: Always run your speaker wires on the passenger side of the car. Things are already too cramped on the driver side

I decided to decided to cut a square “gasket” around the drain funnel out of a material that was heat and moisture resistant since this would go over the hole in the tranny tunnel. The first one I did was too thick so I had to slice its thickness in half

7A932CB4-3BFF-4B45-BA41-04A3A3797D18.jpeg

Cut holes in your insulation where the 3 (or 5 if yours still has the front section) bracket screws plus the square drain hole gasket will go. You want to lower those areas as much as possible because the fit will be very tight.

2F97F45A-9E0A-4B5D-883B-D8C3F4C8DAA0.jpeg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Part 2: Installation

Loosely Install the frame with 3 (or 5 if yours still has its front section) sheet screws on tranny tunnel. Slide it as far towards the gear shifter as the slotted holes allow. Make sure the rubber funnel goes through the hole in the tunnel.

IMG_0164.jpg

Install the two tranny tunnel side carpets and slide them under the outer parts of the frame. They will likely not easily form to the odd compound curves of the tunnel so some massaging will be needed. Tighten the frame down as far as possible without stripping the screws.

IMG_0222.jpg IMG_0223.jpg

There is a small drain extrusion that protrudes from the bottom of the evaporator unit. Since the drain funnel sticks up from the frame, it is difficult to slide one on top of the other because there was not enough room to move the whole unit up over that edge. I had to build a mini ramp/wedge out of wood to slide the drain over the edge of the funnel. I covered it with a long piece of clear tape which made it easier to slide the drain and allowed me to pull that wedge out after the deed was done.
Note that there is a cut out in the funnel which may have been designed to help in this area. But when I tried to use it, the drain was still getting stuck there.

IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0240.jpg

Position the airbox on top of the evaporator

IMG_0226.jpg

Tilt the front of the air box plus evaporator down so that the airbox can squeeze under the C shaped bracket that holds the dashboard deck

IMG_0228.jpg

Gently slide the whole evaporator unit on top of the evaporator frame

IMG_0245.jpg

It helps to stick your hand in the air box in order to guide it onto the heater box opening in the back

IMG_0229.jpg

When sliding it in, be sure that the back of the evaporator is completely inside the two 1 inch vertical “ears” of the frame at the firewall end. Otherwise it will be stuck off center causing even more frustration than there already is

IMG_0241.jpg

Make sure that the drain hole in the evaporator slides properly onto the drain funnel in the frame

IMG_0242.jpg

Adjust and now tighten the 4 bolts of the front movable L bracket that locks the evaporator box to its metal frame.

IMG_0258.jpg

Secure the 2 rear brackets. These perform 2 functions: First, they secure the back of the evaporator to the metal frame. Second, they hold the plastic covered stud onto which the console side panels will impale themselves.

IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0262.jpg

Rotate the heater control slider assembly back above the air diverter box. Position the cables around the various metal brackets as shown in this picture. (At least that is how it worked for me...)

IMG_0244.jpg IMG_4645.jpg

Insert the metal faceplate onto the heater sliders. Note the notch in that face for the cable at the top right.

IMG_0249.jpg

Insert the two mini lights (if yours is so equipped) in their holders in the faceplate

IMG_0251.jpg

This faceplate is secured to the cable assembly unit by 2 slotted screws. The right side one is very difficult to get in because you have to
1. insert the right side of the metal faceplate into the plastic heater box without breaking it,
2. get the top Bowden cable in its slot in the metal face and
3. try to insert that slotted screw in there all at the same time.
Not an easy task by any means.

IMG_0250.jpg IMG_0252.jpg IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Right below the left screw shown above, you see two holes. These are for M6 bolts that attach that faceplate to the dashboard frame on each side.

IMG_0256.jpg

Congratulations. It is now time for a good beer!

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
The wedge idea is a good'n. That's the type of idea that gives me the most satisfaction, that feeling of "I beat you you bas##rd".

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing Bo! I mean this job is difficult enough, let alone pausing to take photos and break down the entire assembly into steps like this. Well done!
Thank you. It is indeed a lot of work but I have greatly benefited from similar write ups by other members so it’s a small payback.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo this is very timely, since my painter removed this ... i will have to reinstall it. so this will be my reference. MUCH appreciated

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo this is very timely, since my painter removed this ... i will have to reinstall it. so this will be my reference. MUCH appreciated

Glad it might help.
If you also need to reinstall the heater box behind the evaporator I wrote a similar how-to here. This one is sort of a follow up for it