Question: Found metal pieces in oil pan?

chicane

Reaction score
I just dropped the oil pan (E24 M30) and found two metal tabs approximately a centimeter and a half square.

TAB_01.jpg

Obviously from the scarring they were once part of moving internals. The car runs great, no problems.

Can anyone identify these and tell me if this could be detrimental to my engine?

execmalibu

Reaction score
They look like the bottom part of the piston skirt...

Aint Good!

Pretty sure that they look like the bottom of the piston skirts... If you have the pan off try looking if possible inside the barrels... Might require rotating the engine to look at the pistons while at the bottom of the stroke... They both have impact scars... Looks like there was contact with the crank or rod bolts...

Maybe you are very lucky and they are left over after a rebuild from a previous piston failure? Not likely

It is possible that the car will run fine for a long time but might start to have a piston rattle after a while... Then again if a piston fails that would be a huge problem...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

chicane

Reaction score
Aint Good!

Pretty sure that they look like the bottom of the piston skirts... If you have the pan off try looking if possible inside the barrels... Might require rotating the engine to look at the pistons while at the bottom of the stroke... They both have impact scars... Looks like there was contact with the crank or rod bolts...

Maybe you are very lucky and they are left over after a rebuild from a previous piston failure? Not likely

It is possible that the car will run fine for a long time but might start to have a piston rattle after a while... Then again if a piston fails that would be a huge problem...

I don't know where you got that pic from but those are not my M30 pistons. These are not piston skirts. If you look closer they are machined on all four sides. The tops are concave as if they were part of a gear mechanism.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you left out one critical bit of information ... why did you drop your oil pan? i tend to agree w/ execmalibu. but if you don't then i guess you better tear down the motor and find out. because thats kinda what it looks like. you should consider that they could have been shaped by the crank or other rotating parts. think about it, what bits are that thin and have a uniform shape - with a broken top. we could all be wrong ... but there's only one way to truly find out ... good chunks in the bottom of an engine is never a good sign. if it is from a piston, you now have a balance problem - especially at high revs.

hope we're wrong.

chicane

Reaction score
you left out one critical bit of information ... why did you drop your oil pan? i tend to agree w/ execmalibu. but if you don't then i guess you better tear down the motor and find out. because thats kinda what it looks like. you should consider that they could have been shaped by the crank or other rotating parts. think about it, what bits are that thin and have a uniform shape - with a broken top. we could all be wrong ... but there's only one way to truly find out ... good chunks in the bottom of an engine is never a good sign. if it is from a piston, you now have a balance problem - especially at high revs.

hope we're wrong.

OK. one more time for the brain dead. THESE PISTON DO NOT HAVE SKIRTS!!!
I can clearly see the bottom of all six pistons and they look FINE!!!

That's kinda what it looks like but thats not what it is. If it were piston skirts it wouldn't be machined at the very top it would be broken off.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Go bother the people over at the E24 forum then.

OK. one more time for the brain dead. THESE PISTON DO NOT HAVE SKIRTS!!!
I can clearly see the bottom of all six pistons and they look FINE!!!

That's kinda what it looks like but thats not what it is. If it were piston skirts it wouldn't be machined at the very top it would be broken off.

execmalibu

Reaction score
The pieces are not in my hands but that was my opinion...

You have the parts in your hands and are asking for our opinions...

The broken parts are shown from only one angle with no reference as to their size ( a coin is often used as reference)... They look like cast aluminum and have a radius like a piston skirt...

I also have no idea what pistons you have in your engine (stock or racing) and from what I can see they still look like a piece of a piston to me...

Let us all know what it turns out to be!

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Mystery part in the oil pan.

I'll play.

My best guess.... for what it's worth...

Check the oil pump carefully. There are shims, supports, locking tabs depending on your particular engine, pickup, gear. It appears to be two ears of one of those types described and the type and thickness based on your picture that got in the way of the rotating mass and sheared it.

Not a gear, no wear pattern. Not Al., not piston. It does appear to be a stamped piece of plain metal.

Find the other part(s) from where it came from.

Second the nice.:-D

chicane

Reaction score
I'll play.

My best guess.... for what it's worth...

Check the oil pump carefully. There are shims, supports, locking tabs depending on your particular engine, pickup, gear. It appears to be two ears of one of those types described and the type and thickness based on your picture that got in the way of the rotating mass and sheared it.

Not a gear, no wear pattern. Not Al., not piston. It does appear to be a stamped piece of plain metal.

Find the other part(s) from where it came from.

Second the nice.:-D

Thanks, that sounds plausible I did go over the oil pump but I will give it a second look. Do you have any idea where on the pump these shim where originally located:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=5374&mospid=47205&btnr=11_2134&hg=11&fg=30

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the shims go between the block and the pump - they keep the chain tight on the oil pump. shims come in various thicknesses, and as i remember they do have partially radiused ends and they also have holes / slots that the mounting bolts go thru. while the pan is off, check the tension on the chain - then undo the pump and look to see if any of the shims are damaged.

AndyM

Reaction score
Looks like the tabs on the tensioner piston where it meets the rail. Or the tab off the rail itself. Do I win?

61porsche

Reaction score
Mmmm....

Near the front of the pan.( Adjusts the chain/ gear)
At the oil pump itself on the disharge side.( Corresponds to the front being shimmed.)
Some have a locking tab.( Factory- probably turned the ears the wrong way.)
Some have a bracket to support the pickup.

It's going to be fairly hidden, so you're looking for parting lines. Probably near number one rod.

I would carefully examine any bolt on the pump. You should be able to see the head being raised and a corresponding break or rough edge. Might have to clean the area up a bit to see it.

The good thing is that it looks like a fairly clean break right into the pan despite the wear on the broken part.

I'd also cut apart the oil filter and examine closely for grins.

If all that checks out, then the luck of the E9 Gods are smiling your way. If it's been running fine.... button it back up... and enjoy your favorite adult beverage.

Best of luck and pls. post a follow up so we know all is well.

chicane

Reaction score
I have been over that engine top-side and bottom-side every square inch. I have checked the oil pump top to bottom, even used my boroscope to reach inaccessible areas and I have found zero evidence of missing or broken parts.

siscobmw

Reaction score
oil pump or timing chain cover related ?maybe they come from the chain tensioner area.........just guessing, I can tell you for sure.that they look not piston skirts....
Francesco