Power Window Gear

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another couper asked if I could make the large gear from inside the power window motor.
Evidently the gear teeth have been stripping and a replacement for this part is not available.
Often the price of any machined item is impacted by the number to be made.

Does anyone else have the problem of this window gear stripping?

Last edited:

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm still poking Matthew at Garagistic. The question is whether it's possible to make an all-plastic gear that would hold.

Does anyone know if the earlier gearboxes had plastic gears? Or are they all steel and nylon? No sense reproducing a bad design.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stevehose, did you ever send me the dead gear we spoke of?

Anyone?

The one I have is split and can't be recompressed to fit the steel center again.
So nothing to copy.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
Whenever you park/store your CS always leave all windows open slightly. It relieves pressure on the plastic gear part and reduces wear and the inevitable stuck window syndrome, which could result in worn gear teeth.

andyleonard

Site Donor
Reaction score
somehow i think it is sound to consider plastic
have you asked yourself why bmw produced them in plastic instead of metal ?

My concern is that the splined mounting in the center won't take it with an all-plastic gear.

I have asked this question twice with no answers yet: did BMW ever make an all-plastic gear...or al they all the same?

Tom2240

Reaction score
I would think they designed one part to wear first and made it small and replaceable, only you can no longer find replacements