Power steering play

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hoping someone can assist ...there is quite a bit of steering wheel play in my csi ( RHD if that's significant ) . There is also a reasonable amount of commentary on this problem but nothing that seems to relate directly to my situation that I could find . The "play" seems to occur immediately inside the power steering box where the UJ abuts /connects .

I note that there appears to be some debate about adjustment of screw(s) but this is probably a bit academic for my purposes as I will get a professional to attend to it but I guess I'm just trying to establish if something like this is repairable with say a "kit" or the like given these boxes cost a lot of $$'s if it needs to be replaced/exchanged. Part number is 8052502106. Many thanks

Cheers, Simon

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
whoops...I think this should have appeared in General Discussion ? ...is it possible to "flick" it across? ...or do i just resubmit in correct section ?...sorry, still finding my feet so to speak.

Cheers , Simon

Polariscsl

Reaction score
You can adjust a certain amount of play with the screw on the top. If it comes down to it, the box can be rebuilt. I have just had mine done as the engine was out anyway and it has tightened things up. I presume there must be somewhere in Aus that does them too.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Play can certainly be adjusted by the nut and screw on top. It's best to get the front end off the ground so you can sense any interference if you over tighten it.

As you tighten the adjusting screw down, the idea is to turn the steering wheel until you feel the drag or interference that the over adjustment made. Overtightening will create binding and premature wear. Make sure you make a complete revolution in both directions as the tightest point will not be directly on center. Depending on how tight your front end is, you may be able to gauge the amount of play in the box by just grabbing the front tire and force steer it while watching the steering and making your adjustments.

This may not be the blue book version, but it worked for me. After fresh bushings and this adjustment, mine felt like a new car.

Good luck!