Power Steering issue

Tundra

Reaction score
Is it better to use a generic Power steering fluid i.e. Prestone or ATF.

I've seen threads where ATF is used. Is ATF better? If ATF what type/brand?

I had loud "sqealing" when steering in a parked position. Thought it was the Vane pump, where belt is attached. Changed it with a spare I had( that I know always worked well) and still have the noise albeit much less. Belt is tight so it's not that.

I used Power steering fluid, Prestone. Could it be air in the system. If so, how do you get rid of it? How is system bled?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I use redline atf fluid in mine.

Bleed procedure is start the car, turn the wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then back left and again full right. Repeat two or three times. I often do this with the front wheels off the ground, but it can be done on the tires.

Tundra

Reaction score
Ohmess,

Two questions,

1. Is "redilne" a brand name? Never seen it. I would shop for fluid at a Advance Auto Parts.

When you "bleed" do I have to unscrew anything to let air/fluid out? In other words is it like when you bleed the brakes?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Redline is a brand, some but not all auto parts stores carry it but I end up getting it on Amazon, especially the MTL tranny fluid.

No need to unscrew anything, just need to turn the wheel lock to lock a couple times, the reservoir cap is vented.

Ohmess,

Two questions,

1. Is "redilne" a brand name? Never seen it. I would shop for fluid at a Advance Auto Parts.

When you "bleed" do I have to unscrew anything to let air/fluid out? In other words is it like when you bleed the brakes?

Thanks.