Portland: '72 Bav - $9K.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This one is pretty. I love the interior...

01616_32oGjrJGfy5_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_6Fzny0FLqhu_1200x900.jpg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I vote for Sahara as well. My '70 3.0 sedan was the same color exterior and same color leather interior. This one has much fancier wheels, and an upgraded engine/trans however. Nice looking sedan.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's Peter Salzman's car, the owner of Peter's Hobby Shop. I've seen it several times in person, it's not a show car but it is really nice and it's definitely Sahara. It might have a 3.5 in it but I'm not sure. It has very cool period staggered wheels that make the car.

Peter has worked on most of the old BMWs here in the Portland area, he knows his stuff. He's helped me through the years. When I removed my sunroof to polish the aluminum channels, he walked through the process (doing some of it himself) without charging me a dime.

It seems like a great price for such a nice, well sorted E3 with a little attitude.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Portland Bav

Yep that is a beauty. Someone should jump on this Bav.

Gary

73 E9 CS sold
86 E28 M535I sold
01 E39 530I

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My son is in college in Portland, always sends me pictures of old BMW's he sees driving around and is also hooked. He also needs a car....I have my eye on a 2002 here in Boston and now I get tossed this possibility!

How did Oregon become a car haven anyway, little salt but constant rain?

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oregon Rain

BavBob,

Lots of rain and overcast but no salt. Garages are common and the populace started buying BMWs in the 60s and 70s. High IQ rating for the general vicinity and time on their hands in the winter to work indoors.

Regards, Jon

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The PNW has a great selection of German autos at all times. There are about six different grey market five and six series on Seattle/Portland craigslist right now. The water can do a lot of damage to old interiors but has little effect on the body. My e9 sat in the rain for years but doesn't have some of the common rust areas that you would see from cars in other states. The interior is another story. I sold my vintage popup camper because it was taking on water after moving out here. I warned the buyer about the water damage and her response was "You aren't from the PNW are you?".

I don't know what the heck happened to my CSI. It has been in WA it's whole life but the opposite is true. The interior is nice and dry but the structural parts of the car are completely shot. It could have lived in Spokane, which is more like the rust belt.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll be in Portland next week as my daughter is graduating from Reed College. I've been there a few times and it reminds me of San Francisco I terms of the curbside classics. It's Volvo 240 heaven.

I remember reading an article about best cities for classic car and Portland was first.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2012/07/11/the-top-five-classic-car-cities

My wife and I plan to move back to the west coast in a few years, it will be either Northern California or Portland area.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
JminNJ, perhaps our paths will cross as my son is finishing his Junior year at Reed and I have to be there next week to help him move. I can safely say I like the place but the lack of desire to get anywhere in a hurry.... Perhaps that's why old Bimmers prevail over newer models.

Carmen

Reaction score
Great stable of vintage BMWs here in Portland. The seller for this one is well respected and knows his stuff. A buyer should not be concerned that the car is not accurately described.