Piston ID

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven’t gotten to run the vin yet, but wondered what pistons these are? The ones in my E3 are much flatter. Could they be a direct swap for a compression bump?
IMG_3248.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow those look much more domed than normal piano tops. You'd have to measure them for bore vs your current engine then determine if they would fit with just a block hone. If they are bigger than your bore then you'd have to bore up. Possibly Alpina pistons??? I'd grab them and ask questions later. Crank too.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen - did you get the head for this engine? if so, look to see if there is a hole in the side of the head to run a fuel pump. if not, it might be an injected engine that ran higher compression / hp. we did find some d-jet injection stuff.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
So if these are from a euro 525, what the heck cr was this running? These are way taller than the JE ones I used in my old 02 with probably 9-9.5:1. I wish these were for a 3.0..:-/. No use playing with the 2.5, I guess..is there anything worthwhile on this engine?

roundel

Reaction score
So if these are from a euro 525, what the heck cr was this running? These are way taller than the JE ones I used in my old 02 with probably 9-9.5:1. I wish these were for a 3.0..:-/. No use playing with the 2.5, I guess..is there anything worthwhile on this engine?
It doesent work like that...the reason the compression height seems so much is because with a 2500 engine the swept area of the piston is approx 80cc less than a 3000 but using the same combustion chamber size.....

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
It doesent work like that...the reason the compression height seems so much is because with a 2500 engine the swept area of the piston is approx 80cc less than a 3000 but using the same combustion chamber size.....
Oh yeah, I guess that makes sense. I haven't seen the smaller bore before, as I've only rebuilt the bigger ones. Still wild to see the piano so big...Looks like they wouldn't leave barely any room for combustion..lol...seemed like they'd be pretty high comp. I couldn't find any pics similar online.. Is that what all the 525 pistons looked like in europe?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used Diamond Racing Pistons. They were well rated and instead of a 11/2 -2 month wait from JE, they were 3 weeks. I also heard they were a subsidiary of JE

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I spoke with Steve from TopEnd and he's never seen pistons that domed. Thought they were wild looking..also that they probably weighed a lot, too. hadn't thought of that..he thinks well north of 10:1. But, seeing as it's a 2.5 engine, it's basically worthless.. oh well. Cool pistons! LOL

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hhmm I wonder if you could use 4 good ones in a 2002 engine?

Thanks, Rick
Isn't the 02 bore the same as a 3.0? 89mm or so? vs the 86mm ish, I believe for the 2500 bore.. I can't remember off the top of my head...and I'm enjoying an adult beverage..:)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
E12 525 (M30B25) piston's variants:

1700347251464.png

E12 518 (M10B18 carb.) piston's options:

1700347322115.png

E12 316 (M10B16 carb.) piston's diameters:

1700347409852.png