Pierburg fuel pump is crap

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought this Pierburg fuel pump and it's garbage. Maybe you guys are already aware of them but the cheap flapper valve on the inside was broken off when I got it. Spent some time figuring things out since I assumed the pump would be good. My 50 years old pump works better. Nice eh?

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_190033481.jpg
    IMG_20190926_190033481.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 208

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Decontentization at its finest. It looks like those of us who pulled working pierburgs off our cars while converting to sidedrafts will soon find a market for the old parts we have laying around.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
How does that even happen??

Yeah Peter, from a business perspective, it's like management hired somebody who has no feel for the business but knows how to make their numbers look good. They outsource mfg to China, fire the quality control and customer service people, cease holding inventory and then blow their horn about improved profits, all while destroying the brand in the hope they can move on before shareholders notice they have destroyed the value of the company.

Boobouna

Reaction score
What are our other options? Is there another reputable brand making these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Goble

Reaction score
An electric pump is a reasonable alternative. I use a VDO lift pump and it works very well. If you need the Pierburg for the visual effect, you could take the pushrod and check valves out and pump right through it.

Reactions: CTD

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s crap, Dan.

I just put one of these on the 2000CS, but have an electric pump installed and merely needing one electrical connection to energize it.... just in case the mechanical pump fails.

Ed

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
sad that it happened again,

“pierburg fuel pump is crap” is not correct

that is not a pierburg pump

i have explained this a long time ago, i found it in an original pierburg box, those pumps are NOT pierburg, and not made in china neither, those are italian pumps the name machined out and sold as pierburg by pierburg,

i will not make the effort to find my old thread about it, it was a long time ago

this is fresher,

these are the ones that work
but when i offered them for sale someone said that those ones in ebay where cheaper,... :0

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting comments. They could be read as if I made an obvious mistake by buying that Pierburg pump even though I should've known that it wasn't really a Pierburg. But it is a Pierburg, but it isn't. And it's cheap, even though I personally don't consider $100 cheap for a mechanical fuel pump and DQ's pump is way better for the price, except that there was never a price posted.

So after buying a pump that was suggested, looking around and finding Pierburg as the preferred pump, buying a Pierburg, but not really, not being able to return it, I'm now back where I started feeling like I should've know better.

Boobouna

Reaction score
sad that it happened again,

“pierburg fuel pump is crap” is not correct

that is not a pierburg pump

i have explained this a long time ago, i found it in an original pierburg box, those pumps are NOT pierburg, and not made in china neither, those are italian pumps the name machined out and sold as pierburg by pierburg,

i will not make the effort to find my old thread about it, it was a long time ago

this is fresher,

these are the ones that work
but when i offered them for sale someone said that those ones in ebay where cheaper,... :0

Deq, back to my question, aside from the pump you sold previously what is the best mechanical pump available now to buy for the e9? Is there another reliable brand that sells one?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Deq, back to my question, aside from the pump you sold previously what is the best mechanical pump available now to buy for the e9? Is there another reliable brand that sells one?

I really dont know of other brand than pierburg
But advice was made as to differenciate from those two types the rubber membrane and the sealed type pumps
...and BTW i do not put prices but i answer all my PMs

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Any update to this issue? I just picked up a new but well ground down "Pierburg" one (didn't realize there was an issue with these until after I got it), i'm not feeling much if any suction when I put my finger against the intake and push on the plunge lever, so I suspect it may be like the one dang had. If there are any NOS ones around that someone has I'd be interested (this is for a '73 E3 in case it matters.) The one I have on appears to have been replaced (probably decades ago) as it is not stamped Pierburg on the cap, it's leaking so I assume the rubber membrane broke.

I mean, look at this thing, c'mon guys...
1649896485215.png

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was doubting my Pierburg, I came to the realization that my car sat a lot between starts, and it was difficult for the pump to draw fuel all the way from the tank to the carburettors, and could start to drain the battery which exacerbated things. Once I installed a check valve in the fuel line close to the carbs, there was always some fuel close by to help prime and start. Cheap fix, and has been a reliable solution for years now.