like your car in the roundel issue

Wladek

Reaction score
can someone tell me
what the driving experience is with having an lsd
mine is a 3:64 but i dont know the slippage
number or how it performs
thanks
If you have diff outside the car and if it wasn't upgraded before - you can check lsd % thru upper vent hole (just need flashlight and to remove cap unscrewing 4x screws).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an LSD in both the coupe and 2800, unless you're racing at Laguna Seca I say it makes no difference. I would not go out of my way to install but it's like jewelry, some like the bling factor IMHO.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Um, the purpose of LSD is to distribute torque to both rear wheels to keep them from spinning under weight transfer when turning. Thus there'd be no difference "most of the time". But if you're a hooligan, you'll feel it.

I've had LS in my coupe ever since I got it 20-odd years ago, and other than a brief detour with a non-LSD 2800 rustbucket, I know no different. But as above, 99% of the time you won't know it's there.

If you surf, don't stop. If you don't surf, don't start. Same thing with LS differentials.

Stefan

Reaction score
I have an LSD in both the coupe and 2800, unless you're racing at Laguna Seca I say it makes no difference. I would not go out of my way to install but it's like jewelry, some like the bling factor IMHO.

Thanks Chris.
Just the words I needed not to mess with things that work.
I got the open slip diff (from factory) on the car and it still works perfect. Nice ride and silent without any mechanical play.
On the other hand I got the pieces for a 40% slip in one of my spare part boxes. The long winter period up here makes you messing with things that work because all other things are already done on the car.
This one I will put to the last of "to do list"

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only reason I would disagree is due to the amount of power Alan's engine will be putting to the ground. I think he might experience a lot of wheel spin off the line. Otherwise I would agree.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
yep i dont think i want to add two black lines down the road as i love my tire treads.
bf goodrich ta radials

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan, think of it this way ... without LSD, you will probably wear one tire out very quickly (with spirited acceleration). with LSD, you will wear out the rear tires equally and a little slower.

bdigel

Reaction score
Aearch
I would say your avg driver with a vintage BMW would never truly notice the difference with or with out a LSD diff . Unless your driving the ever living snot out of one . IE track driving you would spin one tire coming out of turns , which if your not actually racing is actually kind of fun in its own way . The LSD diff will keep that form happening to some degree and cause the car to accelerate quicker , Traction . Now here's where things get more interesting , clutch style diffs that don't have modiefied Ramp angles can cause the car to understeer more . causing you to modify the way you enter a turn , etc, etc . All my race diff are least 4 clutch's with modified ramps, . on decal the ramps cause the diff to be unloaded so as not to lock the clutch's up , and on accel the opisite .

another time you would notice LSD assist would be in Mud, wet roads , etc

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Most definitely feel the difference specially in spirited driving and on turns. Tires stick to the road better and turn closer to the proportion each should rotate. since the inside wheel travels less than the outside an LSD differential trasfer torque more toward the outside wheel( or the wheel with more traction)
I like to think of LSD in comparison to functionality of anti lock brake , but in opposite acceleration.
For Braking or deceleration (negative acceleration) think of Anti lock brake for stopping control . And for Acceleration LSD offers you more control. On a car equipped with LSD specially on turns or on slippery surface when LSD transfer the torque to the wheel with more tranction you can feel the grip ...Without an antilock brake when you brake hard wheel luck up and tires squeal, and you could lose control easier . So Just like with antilock brake the braking power is transferred to the wheel with the most grip with LSD the traction needed for accelerating is transferred to the wheel with more traction. (Turning at constant speed is also a form of acceleration ).... have in mind LSD works only on the two wheels whereas the Antilock brake works on all 4 wheels. Antilock brake works with much more sofistication however....
Very nice thing , On most Newer luxury optioned with 4 wheel drive cars, such as Porsche and Audi's even mercedes , (Probably BMw' too ) LSD is configured into the front and back differentials ,and stability control for all four wheels..
the more spirited driving on turns you do the more you need the LSD .... the higher the percentage on slippage on LSD The more range of transfer of torque the LSD is capable of..... :confused:o_O

Last edited: