Performance heads

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My 1972 csi looks like it has a cracked head. Since I’ve decided to rebuild the whole engine, I was wondering what performance heads you would recommend. My local shop doesn’t do too many performance upgrades to their engines, mostly stock rebuilds, so I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good upgrade?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone
My 1972 csi looks like it has a cracked head. Since I’ve decided to rebuild the whole engine, I was wondering what performance heads you would recommend. My local shop doesn’t do too many performance upgrades to their engines, mostly stock rebuilds, so I was wondering what you guys thought would be a good upgrade?

Are you keeping your CSI piano tops or are you considering new pistons?

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi everyone

If you are looking to rebuild your engine I have an extra engine that came with my car. It's a B34 the block has been prepped and painted, brand new pistons + rings in the box. Crank has been turned, the head has been redone. All the bits and pieces are there but it will need someone to reassemble it.

I went with a B35 for my car which is why I didnt use it in my build.

I see you are in San Diego, I am in OC you are welcome to come check it out.

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. 284 cam is one planned upgrade. Thanks for the offer Ajay but I kind of want stick with the original block.

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. 284 cam is one planned upgrade. Thanks for the offer Ajay but I kind of want stick with the original block.

Also have 2 original complete engines. 1 out of a 3.0cs and 1 complete out of a 2800. Both engines turn, meaning not seized. The 3.0 motor has dual webbers.

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Also have 2 original complete engines. 1 out of a 3.0cs and 1 complete out of a 2800. Both engines turn, meaning not seized. The 3.0 motor has dual webbers.
Mine has new external parts, my main concern however, is the head, not the block. Engine doesn’t necessarily need a whole rebuild, but if I’m doing the head I might as well do the bottom end as well.

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
The speedo cable is the issue. The 6 speeds would probably have a more modern speedo cable than our cars have.
Hmm, a six speed would be cool, I’ve never seen one in a coupe, I wonder is something can be done to fix the speedometer cable other than switching to gps. Anyway the transmission isn’t the immediate issue, i still need some head recommendations.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe to do a six speed you will have to have an adapter made. A few e24 guys have done it by having adapters made and one fellow in OZ mated two bellhousings together. It is not a plug and play swap

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You want a head that matches the early intake shape of the stub manifolds, is a fuel injection head with no hole for a fuel pump and has the later water jacket so it doesn’t crack like crazy and is within factory specs for thickness.
79-81 head should do it. Tough to find.
I have 2
As a checked at the machine shop core - 700.00

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Metric mechanic has a complete Head with all the bits done including cam for $2700 if that’s worth considering...
Once you take out the cost of a replacement head, cam , valves ect and rebuild costs it might be worth considering

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Metric mechanic has a complete Head with all the bits done including cam for $2700 if that’s worth considering...
Once you take out the cost of a replacement head, cam , valves ect and rebuild costs it might be worth considering
Metric mechanic’s head may be the way to go then. Will it work with only stock piston size?