Parking brake lever and steering wheel cover paint

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
Need to repaint/touch up the metal part of the parking brake lever, as well as the steering wheel column cover where it has been abraded by the key ring. Any paint recommendations?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For those parts not textured I've used both SEM Color Coat Landau Black or SEM Trim Black.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.22.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.23.08 PM.png

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The handbrake metal part is a smooth satin black, not textured.

I too had a steering column cover with abrasion marks form the keys. I wanted to keep the splatter effect as original as possible, so i made some trials.

I've successfully reproduced the splatter effect with some hand placed dabs of filler where the abrasions were, letting them dry, stacking a few layers, and finally covering the whole steering column cover in a fresh thin matt satin black. The original splatter effect paint is dull, but your fresh black layer will be a smooth layer; even a matt paint it too shiny. Wiping that before it dries will give it the original matt finish, but now with all scratches filled and everything looking uniform.

20200607_234857.jpg

This leaves the original splatter effect in place. Here's the endresult; you can't even make out where the paint was chipped.
20200607_235012.jpg

by the way, the rings around the instruments, the steering column panel and the center console all have different textures
20200609_095207.jpg

Attachments

• 20200607_234247.jpg
    20200607_234247.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 19

otter74

Reaction score
Piggybacking onto this question, what's the best SEM match to the gloss of molded plastic parts like later steering wheel hubs? I have an E21 3-spoke sport wheel with a faded look to the plastic that I'd like to recoat to look new. I have SEM Trim Black that I've used on my 911 but that looks a bit too flat. Is Landau Black a little glossier?

otter74

Reaction score
Have a look at Eastwoods plastic refinisher if the parts you want done are plastic I have used it for years with great results

Thanks, Rick
You mean the kind they have for refinishing faded exterior plastic? I wasn’t sure that kind of paint would work well on soft plastic.