overrider removal question

TRIPPFONTAINE

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my front bumper overriders with new ones. My manuals don't show me how to remove the old ones. I imagine I'll need to get the bumper off. Do I need to get the car up on a hoist? (I'm hoping not since being housebound is going to make that a challenge). I have tried to search the various forums here (thanks DeQuincey) but nothing is showing up. Can anyone shed any light on the process?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my front bumper overriders with new ones. My manuals don't show me how to remove the old ones. I imagine I'll need to get the bumper off. Do I need to get the car up on a hoist? (I'm hoping not since being housebound is going to make that a challenge). I have tried to search the various forums here (thanks DeQuincey) but nothing is showing up. Can anyone shed any light on the process?

i am sure that i have a full thread on the topic
i am busy now but if you search under my name you will find it

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Hi @TRIPPFONTAINE,

No hoist necessary. No jack stands necessary either unless you have a front spoiler. You can access the four bumper bracket bolts from under the car. The overriders are held on by a very long carriage bolt that connects to the bumper bracket.

Once you undo the four bumper bracket bolts on the frame, you can slide the bumper out to get access to the nut on the carriage bolt.

Normally I take pictures of this stuff but I didn’t on this. Probably should have.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i am sure that i have a full thread on the topic
i am busy now but if you search under my name you will find it

Looks like this is it. A picture-only thread. They are blurry but @TRIPPFONTAINE can use my description above and the blurry pictures.

Here is a pic I did snap the other day of the front bracket. The carriage bolt goes through the forward-facing hole, with a nut on the backside.

This is how the bracket is oriented on the car, bolted to the frame rail:
[
9E725989-3385-453C-B1E3-3303329E8561.jpeg

These are the frame rail holes, easily accessible from under the car.
DC0F7C41-BFD4-44A8-8E14-834F9773BCC6.jpeg

This just highlights that the front of the bracket is not “square”. The carriage bolt passes through this end. You can see it in @dequincey’s pics.
D5D5DD11-9625-4CC2-9D73-D360E8BBDFCE.jpeg