Our friends coupe was stolen yesterday….

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
On my Corvair many years ago I had a fuel solenoid wired into the dome light switch. You would get about 1/4 mile and run out of gas. Caught me a few times if I forgot to turn it on because if you ran out of fuel and the motor shut down the battery draw would not let the solenoid open the fuel flow. I had a second set of hidden wires I could attach directly to the battery for this moment. Probably big liability issues with a car that runs out of gas these days.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lucas,
This looks like an ideal solution. At ~$110.00 USD> Looking at their website, I don't see USA as a region that they cover. Do you have the device? And can you share more about the U.S. coverage? I am interested.
Paul
That one is close to the one I was going to design.
1) Passive - GPS receivers do not emit signals, there is no way to detect a GPS tracker until it decides to communicate.
2) SIM based - once it decides to communicate, must use the cell phone network, not wifi not bluetooth.
3) Smart - The decision to communicate must be smart. I am not going to say what I would use.

From Denmark? I thought there are no thieves there!

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I remove the Air Tag speakers and hide two units in different (and difficult to access) places. A thief might detect that there are tags in the car, but finding them both would be very difficult and time consuming.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The best protection for your cars against thieves is an unclosed electrical circuit when the ignition is turned on.
A simple modification of one of the functional switches (indicator lever, wiper lever or light switch). Which, when placed in a certain range, causes a break in the electrical circuit after the ignition is turned on.
Every thief is pressed for time and won't bother looking for the ignition switch (there's no chance he'll find it because he won't come up with the idea unless he knows about it).
Simple, cheap and very effective.
Any physical steering wheel or gear lever lock can be bypassed...
A GPS locator is very easy to find with a scanner unless it has major GPS signal interruptions.
I remember seeing those electrically activated e-brakes on some show. If you have both an ignition kill switch and a hidden battery disconnect, this would prevent thieves from 1) starting the car and 2) moving it onto a trailer since the e-brake would be locked

oldcoupe

Reaction score
Few years ago I heard a story (apocryphal?) about a high end BMW being stolen in London. Some weeks later BMW called up the owner- 'the good news is we've found your car; the bad news is it's in Moscow'
Cars as valuable as those aren't protected by ignition disabled etc - they have to be physically secured - serious lockup and premises alarms.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cars that I store but drive occasionally I'll make inoperable. Cars that I store for a longer period I take two or more wheels off. You can deter a lot of thieves but not all.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hagerty is pretty good with writing "agreed value". I update my cars every year if needed to reflect market value.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Found….

After being carried by local news sources, a call came in from an apartment building worker that the car being featured was indeed in their parking lot.
Being towed in for a physical.

DaveBeddows

Reaction score
Or consider a GPS tracker, which won't alert a thief's phone that an AirTag is following them.

For instance, this one is $5/month, but also geofenced, which means it can alert your phone if goes outside a certain area (like your driveway), which would in theory give you more time to react, follow, inform authorities.

My brother has one of these on his his dog and works well. He was visiting me and all of a sudden it went off when his wife 30 miles away took the dog out to pee. He also can adjust the geofence on the fly when they are camping to give an alert if the dog starts to roam which would be good if you are traveling and the car is at a hotel. The nice thing about this solution is the notification the car is moving. The thieves aren't likely going to take time to find the device at the original point of theft prior to moving the car so it is very likely you will get notification the car is on the move.
From the story I saw on the news about thefts to international destinations; the thugs that do the initial theft are not the high one's in the ring. They are low level who are paid to find specific cars, take them, search for and remove any GPS, then deliver them for payment. Some get caught while the vehicle is in a cooling storage before delivery to the next thug up the chain. Those are the lucky owners who were fortunate enough to have a tracking device that worked and a police force willing to go after the car. Unfortunately some police don't consider a stolen car on the move or relocated as an emergency and it can disappear again before they get around to taking action.

Glad the latest news is the cars were found. Possible they were in a cool off area in case they had GPS. I would love to know if the coupe was driven or towed there. It is unlikely they would have been able to mimic the dimpled key in which case there may be a destroyed ignition lock. The tires on the other car suggest they had it running and enjoyed it. Not the brightest move if you are taking a car on a contract from an overseas theft ring.

Please keep us updated on any damage and any clues to how they moved or drove the coupe. That info can help all of us to be diligent.

You know something as simple as a note on the steering wheel that says "Atten Greg. Don't start the car. Engine bearing seized." could turn away a thief who planned to hot wire and drive the car. Assuming they can read. Of course if they followed you to where the car is stored, which is likely, then that does no good.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe “attention thief, there is a spark plug in the gas tank and I am fully insured”