Our friends coupe was stolen yesterday….

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was researching this a few months ago, I thought this device, the LandAirSea 54 would be the best combo of affordability and capability; far more capable than the AirTag but at the cost of a monthly plan (starting at $10/month). Although I have no personal experience with it, the battery longevity, tracking plan options and communication capability seemed powerful for the price.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score

I recommend it and it works in the USA, but you have to buy access once.

Regards.
Looks interesting. Don't see USA coverage (here) even in the upgraded model (208 Euro) Do you have one? It appears it has to be sent back to the company (in DK?) to have the battery changed. And the highest frequency of tracking is every 10 minutes.

Lucas

Reaction score
Yes, I have two such devices. I am satisfied with their performance.
Fact. The battery lasts for four years and must be replaced by the manufacturer or a new device purchased.
To work in the USA, you need to purchase a one-time package.
There is a chat on the manufacturer's website where you can get all the information.

Regards.

P.S.

It can only be located with a GPS signal detector.
But this way you can track any device.
Operation sampling is dictated by the fact that during a 10-minute gap in the signal, the device will not be detected by the detector, as if it were the case with continuous operation of the signal in another device.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-12 o 15.27.21.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-12 o 15.27.21.png
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 22

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
@sfdon, so the air tags are in a place where they would be nearly impossible to find and remove. But the person knows an air tag is present. Hmmm. I need to do this for my cars.

Do the tags rattle around when you drive?

Also, I have used Moultrie "game" cameras, meant to take photos of wildlife. Motion triggered and sent to your phone. they are cheap and battery operated and use cellular and not wifi. The moment the camera detects motion, it starts taking pix and sends to your phone, so even if the thieves see the camera, it is too late. There is a monthly fee. When my hurricane damage is finally fixed at my storage building, I will place one inside. We used them at our house after the hurricane when there was no power for two months, and they worked great, even in the dark.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We AirTag every car sent for offsite work or delivery.

At our current shop we are layered.

ADT door, motion and sound with battery back up.
System is connected to ATT cell service with 24 hour monitoring.
Cutting the wires to the building is meaningless.

Supplementary system operates on an off site wireless system and alerts to motion, sound and light with 24 hour notice to my cell phone with camera, sound and voice.
No wires to cut. All recorded on the cloud.

Obviously monitoring is everything. Having a video of your car being stolen isn’t likely to get it back.

And we monitor 24 hours a day in real time whenever and wherever I travel.
My cell phone gives me an audible if anyone gets near the building day or night.

Our shop is 2 blocks from Alameda Police department.

3rd system is off the record.

We have no sign, no website, no phone listing. No address listed anywhere.

The new building is 18,000 sq ft and is Hagerty insured for classic car storage and repair work and as an auto dealer. Alarm system has optical character recognition for license plates, and so much more. Always offsite monitored. Can include person of Interest alerts against known or repeat offenders in the database. Also cloud based.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about it, but security must be a big expense for you.

I would think proximity to the Alameda Police Department is worth a lot.

BrewKaiser

Reaction score
I just became aware of this from a friend and was going to post and see the community is already on it. Feel horrible for Doug. With such a tight nit community selling this domestically unlikely and even abroad will be a challenge. I fear it will be stripped for parts.

Previous owner of my ep9 installed a Ravelco kill switch. I'll definitely be removing it when parked in public. Air tags are a good idea. We have the RecovR tags in two of our vehicles. Not sure how to buy one outside of a dealership.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about it, but security must be a big expense for you.

I would think proximity to the Alameda Police Department is worth a lot.
Pobre SFDon, tan lejos De Dios y tan cerca de Berkeley.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pobre SFDon, tan lejos De Dios y tan cerca de Berkeley.
My niece had my sister's 1990 Miata, bought by my sister new in 1990 after her first bonus at Oracle, stolen in 2022 from her driveway when she was at Cal. Car had 250,000 miles and was a cool family heirloom. Such a bummer.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know when I had my first Corrado stolen, the most depressing part was that I had my work on it stolen. All those early oil changes, all the wax applied. On both Corrado thefts I figured out who stole it and had their names through a bit of leg work. The first time it was the parking lot attendant at the Montreal Sheraton. Drove it up the entrance ramp to the underground parking at 4 am. The reason I knew was a fluke, as you could see the tailight's reflection on the glass of his booth on it's way up the ramp in the security video I had the parking lot owners show me . Got his name from the Hotel. Informed Police of the details who two weeks later said he didn't return their calls. That one was serial number 0069 and was driven in the Michelin endurance series by Villeneuve's driving coach Richard Spenard. The second one was one of the last made and one of 87 95' VR6 Corrados imported to North America. (None in the US) I believe the thieves knew who I was through postings on the Canadian Corrado club forum. I got a tip they had tried to sell the interior to a local VW shop. They had been driving a G60 Corrado on Audi rims. I made a post looking for this car on the forum (Saying I thought it looked neat) and a forum member PM'd me a sighting. Short time later he told me he had seen where they live. (Thanks Charlie!) I went up there and saw what looked like bits of my Beige interior on their garage wall at the end of their driveway. Told police all the info and they said they could do nothing without a search warrant. In both cases, insurance cheque was cashed and I moved on. I suspect police response is even worse now. Fortunately car theft in Sucker country Canada is a hot and current political issue. With diligence, I'm hoping this forum can be instrumental in solving who done it. Keep an eye out on CL and Ebay for parts. SFDon, if the owner has any details that are unique to this vehicle, maybe post some photos so we know what to look for. It would be good if we can be on this one for the long haul....Justice would be very satisfying for us fellow owners.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just became aware of this from a friend and was going to post and see the community is already on it. Feel horrible for Doug. With such a tight nit community selling this domestically unlikely and even abroad will be a challenge. I fear it will be stripped for parts.

Previous owner of my ep9 installed a Ravelco kill switch. I'll definitely be removing it when parked in public. Air tags are a good idea. We have the RecovR tags in two of our vehicles. Not sure how to buy one outside of a dealership.
Our coupes are old enough that a simple coil ground toggle switch could prevent someone from driving away. That said, I would think most stolen coupes are drug up onto a flatbed, so an air tag or equivalent would be much better.

As to the DB9, I would think the car's security would be similar to my 2000 540i6, which has both an interior motion sensor and a tilt sensor which trigger a siren and immobilize the ignition system. The immobilizer is also initialized even if the car is running when it doesn't get a signal from a proper key. I would think these cars would be pretty difficult to drive away from a storage facility.

Barry.b

Reaction score
I read an article about tracking devices in cars , now it was in relation to everyday cars, not anything exotic.
And it said that in the past the thieves had a certain amount of time to get a stolen car back to their base and then they frantically stripped it out trying to find the tracking device, once they found it they destroyed it , then they could take their time breaking the car .
The risk was the police could swoop on them and catch them in the act .
But the article said that the police were now finding stolen cars parked in public parking areas. It seems the thieves would take a car and drive it to a public car park and leave it there parked to “soak”
They would return a week or 2 later and if the car was still there they knew it didn’t have a tracking device fitted, so then and only then would they bring it back to their base .
The thieves are always trying to evolve to find new ways to get away with what they do .
It’s terrible but true unfortunately. Thankfully I am not talking from experience and again I do hope the e9 and Aston Martin show up and can be returned
( FYI , the article was in relation to car thefts in the United Kingdom)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Such a bummer. What's everyone's thoughts on steering wheel locks? My girlfriend insist on putting hers on her 911 even when locked up in her garage at home.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Such a bummer. What's everyone's thoughts on steering wheel locks? My girlfriend insist on putting hers on her 911 even when locked up in her garage at home.
One of the quickest layers to defeat. 15 seconds with a hack saw…Petri be damned.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

I recommend it and it works in the USA, but you have to buy access once.

Regards.
Lucas,
This looks like an ideal solution. At ~$110.00 USD> Looking at their website, I don't see USA as a region that they cover. Do you have the device? And can you share more about the U.S. coverage? I am interested.
Paul

Lucas

Reaction score
Lucas,
This looks like an ideal solution. At ~$110.00 USD> Looking at their website, I don't see USA as a region that they cover. Do you have the device? And can you share more about the U.S. coverage? I am interested.
Paul

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-12 o 15.27.21.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-12 o 15.27.21.png
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 19

Lucas

Reaction score
The best protection for your cars against thieves is an unclosed electrical circuit when the ignition is turned on.
A simple modification of one of the functional switches (indicator lever, wiper lever or light switch). Which, when placed in a certain range, causes a break in the electrical circuit after the ignition is turned on.
Every thief is pressed for time and won't bother looking for the ignition switch (there's no chance he'll find it because he won't come up with the idea unless he knows about it).
Simple, cheap and very effective.
Any physical steering wheel or gear lever lock can be bypassed...
A GPS locator is very easy to find with a scanner unless it has major GPS signal interruptions.

Last edited: