Opinions on the Automatic Tranny

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

There is a 2.5 CS out there which I would buy in a heartbeat but it's an automatic.

I'd like to hear experiences with an automatic for those of you who actually have or have had one. Reliability, livability, longevity, serviceability (DIY or otherwise), etc...

I realize conversions are available but originality is very important to me, particularly in a well preserved 'time capsule'.

Thanks in advance!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you like the 2.5 and it's in great shape, buy it and drop in a 5 speed. The auto box diminishes some of the joy of driving a coupe. It was the first thing I changed when I bought my coupe.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I have never heard anything good about the stock slushboxes. Some have worked on replacing it with a 4HP22/4HP24(ME) but I do not know how far they got. The 4HP trans is a vast improvement over the stock 3 speed unit, but both pale in comparison to a proper 5 or even 4 speed manual.

Shawn

Reaction score
I have had my coupe for about 20 years and had a 3 speed auto in it for about 15 years. Went to a 5-speed about 5 years ago.

So here is the deal. It worked fine and was a good little work horse. True, it is not nearly as responsive as a 4 or 5 speed. yes, it diminishes the driving experience. BUT if you have found a nice specimen then don't let that deter you. The auto can be changed out whenever you like.

Please do know the auto's usually leak really bad and you will become very familiar on how to replace the front and rear seals about every two years.

Good luck.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Shawn: How difficult a project is to replace the seals? Engine and tranny out or just the tranny or neither?

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's no comparison in driving enjoyment between an auto and 4/5spd coupe, and I've owned both. However, your enjoyment may depend on the type of driving you do. If you find yourself stuck in traffic a lot, or you have leg issues an auto might be for you.

Shifts in the auto are not very smooth and rob the coupe of a lot of power, but I haven't experienced reliability problems and I haven't driven one long enough to know what longevity is like.

I would not buy a coupe based on whether or not it had an auto or manual. Weather the coupe you are looking at has rust or not should be the biggest factor. You can drop a rebuilt four speed in your coupe and no one would know that it wasn't original, except you of course.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
You can drop a rebuilt four speed in your coupe and no one would know that it wasn't original, except you of course.
(Actually I and anyone that could read a Chassis number table or get Andreas Harz at BMW to look it up would be able to tell, but who's counting?)

I agree with the above postings on the ZF auto 3-speed as the similar ZF 4 speed in the e24's was even worse IMHO...Replacing front and rear seals every 2 years is ridiculous (and yes, it does happen on both)

Having had Polio at an early age with a shortened left leg and driving 60 miles one-way to work from Orange County up the 405 (when it was still possible and a helicopter was not required) to Hollywood for years in a 5- speed (260/5) 1983 e24 caused my medical doctors to finally exclaim that I had better buy an automatic car if I didn't wish to be in a wheelchair (negotiating traffic) by the time I was 55...

Well now I am 55 and instead opted for better Physical Therapy at the time and it did the trick, I still drive my 5-speed with glee and abondon and interimly I have bought and driven other cars, including an e46 Touring with the Steptronic automatic/manual which frankly is an amazing piece of equipment, especially since it's a GM designed transmission.

Manual or Sport mode it outperformed the rest of the car by far, no kidding but my medical records now show that even suggesting an automatic for the 'gimp' with a bit shorter left leg is NOT a course of action to be taken by the patient and was included as a bit of a warning to follow-up medical professionals NOT to suggest it!

:mrgreen:

Ran

Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
For me, there's no comparison in driving enjoyment between an auto and 4/5spd coupe, and I've owned both. However, your enjoyment may depend on the type of driving you do. If you find yourself stuck in traffic a lot, or you have leg issues an auto might be for you.

Shifts in the auto are not very smooth and rob the coupe of a lot of power, but I haven't experienced reliability problems and I haven't driven one long enough to know what longevity is like.

I would not buy a coupe based on whether or not it had an auto or manual. Whether the coupe you are looking at has rust or not should be the biggest factor. You can drop a rebuilt four speed in your coupe and no one would know that it wasn't original, except you of course.

Walt

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Before you buy...make sure you find out the cost these days of converting an auto to a five speed. I would never buy a three speed automatic unless I can budget to convert it into a 5 speed.
abe

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had an auto in mine, which was a rebuild from the PO. It lasted maybe 100 miles for me before I replaced it. The driving experience was horrible. In fact, the car just sat in my garage for about a year. I hated it.

Finishing up a conversion to the 5sp overdrive right now in the hope that it will be a fun car to drive. If not, I doubt Ill keep the car. It looks great of course, but that auto was just crap.

My $0.02.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
would never buy a three speed automatic unless I can budget to convert it into a 5 speed.

Abe just what is the complete cost as you see it to modify an automatic to a five speed aside from the fairly fixed cost of the 5 speed itself?

As I recall there's the issue of having the proper speedo bellhousing, the dual pedal set up etc etc and I would really like to fix a dollar amount if anyone else has done this conversion and kept track of the actual dollar amount.

Cheers!

Ran

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
David,
Come down to Costa Mesa and drive mine. You will realize that your efforts are WELL worth it. I'll buy the beer after the drive!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Abe just what is the complete cost as you see it to modify an automatic to a five speed aside from the fairly fixed cost of the 5 speed itself?

As I recall there's the issue of having the proper speedo bellhousing, the dual pedal set up etc etc and I would really like to fix a dollar amount if anyone else has done this conversion and kept track of the actual dollar amount.

Cheers!

Ran

Mine was around 3-4k$ if I recall correctly, with Harold doing 80% of the work and me 20%.
Some of the part assortment used is in the pictures:
http://home.earthlink.net/~b_jamin/shark/id6.html

It is a different car with manual transmission, but if the automatic hadn't died I would have enjoyed it automatic for a while nonetheless.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Wow that's 'bout double what I would have guessed...

newjersey_blaupunkt_580.png

hmmmm?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My coupe came as a 3 speed slushbox and a recent $2000.00 rebuild.
With less than 10k on the rebuild ATF was pouring out of every known orifice with the largest amount being pumped out of the breather hole and onto the exhaust.
Beyond that- I normally drive my cars to SoCal from NorCal [8-900 miles] every couple of weeks. There was no benefit for screaming at 4000 rpm for 6 hours each way with a James Bond smoke screen behind me. Staying in one gear for 6 hours is the antithesis of the meaning of a *Sportscar*. The trip to Missisippi was so mind numbing that the car was trailered home.

Kill the slushbox and go with the 5 speed!

sfdon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow that's 'bout double what I would have guessed...

hmmmm?

There is a very good writeup by Devinder at: http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/5speed/prep.html

Ran given your creative streak you should collaborate with Laura Numeroff on the book "If you give a mouse a 5-speed"...

For me the stickshift lifestyle prompted the installation of Bilsteins really soon after, and rejetting the carbs. Oh, and the speeding tickets that a 5-speed red car with gravitas invariably attracts.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
laura_numeroff-2x2.jpg

The next time we meet I will share her markup and assessment of my manuscript for the soon to be released...

"A TRIP TO THE PARTS STORE"

:mrgreen:

G-Man

Reaction score
I have a 81 Euro spec E12 528i with an automatic. It's a time warp, only 140K on it but I hate driving it. I bought the car knowing that the car would soon be receiving a 5 speed conversion. I've already procurred the 5 speed gearbox, pedals, flywheel, clutch kit, etc.. The only thing I'm really missing is the driveshaft, console parts, and instrument cluster but I know someone who has these. If you are going to drive the autotragic in the coupe, you might as well drive an appliance car. I had Coupe King do the auto to 5 speed conversion in my former 73 E3 Bavaria. It's night and day difference between driving a M30 motor with a 3 speed autotragic and a 5 speed manual gearbox. Driving the 5 speed will put a huge smile on your face. I've been there, done that and can 't wait to do it again in my E12.

G-Man