One more E9 in Paris!

Eko75

Reaction score
One day, back in 2012, I was driving around Paris in my 1979 Alfa Romeo GTV when I came across a Bluefjord BMW E9 3.0 CSI.

I flashed my headlights, the person stopped, and we talked for two hours. I instantly fell in love with that car and told myself that one day I would have to own one.

IMG_1508.JPG

However, a few years later, I was looking for a car to use every day, for me and my two daughters, and I needed something comfortable, powerful, and reliable enough to be a daily driver.
Moreover, I find that the BMW E9 has probably the most beautiful design BMW has ever produced; I can't imagine a more beautiful coupe from that era.
Since I refuse to drive a modern car, with very few exceptions, it seems to be the perfect car for me.

I began my search, reviewed classified ads, and eventually found mine (damn I should have bought ut in 2012 !).

20240106_144235.jpg

It's a 1973 BMW E9 CSI, the same year I was born, in Bluefjord. It runs fairly well, the bodywork was redone three years ago, the engine is brand new, and for now, I'm dealing with some minor reliability issues, which you will hear about a bit later.

20240109_084148.jpg

I'm very happy to be here; before my purchase, this forum was invaluable for thinking through and analyzing a few issues. In short, very happy to be among you, and looking forward to meeting some of you in Europe, perhaps in France, and even better, in Paris.

Have a great day, see you later.

Nico

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am having life envy. Mine has been great, no complaints, ever! But to live in Paris at your age, I am 82, I figure you for about 52, driving the most beautiful car BMW ever produced, in my favorite color, refusing to drive most modern cars, and chauffering two daughters around the City of Light is truly La Vida.

Your CSL is my favorite version.

Steve

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a beautiful story and outcome.
Would gladly visit you tomorrow :).

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Awesome story. Looking forward to hearing more about the car and the adventures you have with it.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
One day, back in 2012, I was driving around Paris in my 1979 Alfa Romeo GTV when I came across a Bluefjord BMW E9 3.0 CSI.

I flashed my headlights, the person stopped, and we talked for two hours. I instantly fell in love with that car and told myself that one day I would have to own one.

View attachment 176918

However, a few years later, I was looking for a car to use every day, for me and my two daughters, and I needed something comfortable, powerful, and reliable enough to be a daily driver.
Moreover, I find that the BMW E9 has probably the most beautiful design BMW has ever produced; I can't imagine a more beautiful coupe from that era.
Since I refuse to drive a modern car, with very few exceptions, it seems to be the perfect car for me.

I began my search, reviewed classified ads, and eventually found mine (damn I should have bought ut in 2012 !).

View attachment 176919

It's a 1973 BMW E9 CSI, the same year I was born, in Bluefjord. It runs fairly well, the bodywork was redone three years ago, the engine is brand new, and for now, I'm dealing with some minor reliability issues, which you will hear about a bit later.

View attachment 176920

I'm very happy to be here; before my purchase, this forum was invaluable for thinking through and analyzing a few issues. In short, very happy to be among you, and looking forward to meeting some of you in Europe, perhaps in France, and even better, in Paris.

Nico

that is sure a good story, Nico

it gets also the idea from the silence of the lambs, “we lust after what we see…”, nice that the guy stopped and talked to you 10 years ago, bmws and alfas are compatible indeed,

it is brave to use an e9 as a daily car in Paris, is your coupe rated as historic vehicle ?
BTW do you have to pay triple fees for parking, as the big SUVs ?

some Europeans here, We have had some french guys too, one was persistent, he restored coupes, others now that much.

me close to french border in Baskenland; should you decide to travel south we may have the chance to meet

BTW: are you aluminium bits in the console painted in brown ?

cheers

Eko75

Reaction score
Driving in Paris is not as challenging as you can imagine from what you see in the news.
Like any other large city, you get trafic, which car from the 70s doesn't like too much. But beside this, it's OK, and vintage cars always attract sympathy vs modern, larger, expensive automobiles.

The SUV parking fee is really a scam, SUV was the marketing claim. The truth is "any car above 1600kg, or 2000kg if EV" so approximately 80% of the recent cars... but you sell morr tickets with SUV...

My E9 is not rated as historic, otherwise you get even more restrictions, but to be honest, I've never been controlled, with this one or any other vintage car.

Meaning you are more than welcome to come and drive in Paris, everything is going to be fine!!

Which aluminum bits are you referring to?

Cheers

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Driving in Paris is not as challenging as you can imagine from what you see in the news.
Like any other large city, you get trafic, which car from the 70s doesn't like too much. But beside this, it's OK, and vintage cars always attract sympathy vs modern, larger, expensive automobiles.

The SUV parking fee is really a scam, SUV was the marketing claim. The truth is "any car above 1600kg, or 2000kg if EV" so approximately 80% of the recent cars... but you sell morr tickets with SUV...

My E9 is not rated as historic, otherwise you get even more restrictions, but to be honest, I've never been controlled, with this one or any other vintage car.

Meaning you are more than welcome to come and drive in Paris, everything is going to be fine!!

Which aluminum bits are you referring to?

Cheers

as to the aluminium bits…

Your photo is darker, but it seemed different to me...

See for comparison....

20240211_145154.jpg

Maybe I am wrong...

Last edited:

Barry.b

Reaction score

View attachment 176918

View attachment 176919

View attachment 176920

Nico
Hi there
I only missed you and your car by about 3 weeks.
My family and I were on a quick weekend trip to Paris
I love your car , it’s the same year and colour as my one , although mine is undergoing a restoration and is not back on the road yet .
Perhaps our cars have already met on the production line back in 1973 :)
Good luck with her , she’s a beauty !!

Cyrano

Reaction score
Bienvenu Nico!

What a great car! Congratulations!

Keep us posted on your reliability work!

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bienvenu Nico!

What a great car! Congratulations!

Keep us posted on your reliability work!

Hi to both of you, Nico & Cyrano.
I am currently in Paris and would love to meet one day at your convenience.

Merdad