Oil pan removal?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Time to fix the broken oil pan on the 2800. Is it easier to lift the engine or drop the cross member when removing the pan? I have access to lifts and jacks, etc., I was just hoping to have somewhat of a plan going into it...

30.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it has been a long time since i did this on my old e3. but i did it without removing the cross member ... i loosened the engine mounts and lifted the engine with a block of wood on the passenger side motor mount. it took a little fiddling to get it out, but i got it out. i also changed my motor mounts at the same time as i replaced the oil pump.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You don’t lift the engine and you don’t drop the subframe.
Loosen the pan, unbolt the pump and and it comes right out.
TDC on 6.

Install- pan back under block, slip pump in and bolt it up.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You don’t lift the engine and you don’t drop the subframe.
Loosen the pan, unbolt the pump and and it comes right out.
TDC on 6.

Install- pan back under block, slip pump in and bolt it up.

... and this is why we post questions to the group! Thanks Don. I'll use the block method as a back-up plan.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i bet if i had #6 at TDC it would have come out just fine. that is why i had to raise the engine was to get the pan off of the back of the engine. i have only done this once ... Don, probably has done it a few hundred times.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
heck, I'd use this as an excuse to take the motor out and freshen up the bay and all the rubber

I'm with duct-tape...I like to pull the engine just to detail things...and probably just go ahead and strip the engine down, degrease it, run a hone through it, new rings, bearings, freshen up the head, all new gaskets, repaint everything....oh hell...I have issues...lol

pat cooks

Reaction score
I think we used to lift the engine with a Japanese car scissor jack between the engine mount and cross member, undo both engine mounts and then jack up the engine as far as it will go,