Oil Drain Plug Torque?

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Only reference I could find after searching was 43-47 ft. lbs. Can someone please confirm this? TIA!

lloyd

Reaction score
IMHO, forget it,
trial-error
just use your hand and a short tool, do it
drive the car and check for leaks, if not, done, if yes just do it another bit

"Screw up firmly." :wink:

p_061.jpg

MMercury

Reaction score
Well, if that's the official recommendation...

I have always taken the owners manual's advice to heart. To "screw up" even firmly does not take a lot of aptitude. :roll:

I vaguely recall a time when oil filters would come with a rubber o ring and a new aluminum washer for the drain plug. (Maybe even a replacement washer for the oil filter housing bolt too.) Applying 45 ft/lbs to the plug would almost surely crush that washer and necessitate its replacement with every few uses. Being a little easier on the torque or "firmly" seems to make everything last longer, including not only the aluminum washer but the threads in the aluminum alloy oil pan. :wink:

Although I can't say I have looked that hard, I cannot recall seeing a "screw up" recommendation or specific torque value for the oil filter housing, which, presumably would see similar usage as the drain plug. Instead of "firmly", I have found applying "enough" or "just enough" torque to that part seems to work best. Unfortunately, none of my torque wrenches bear such markings. Fortunately, to the best of my limited knowledge, I have never had a leaky pan plug or oil filter bolt on an E9, E3 or E10 and prefer to keep it that way.

Curious which of the unwritten recommendations the "quicklube" shops follow: "almost enough," "just about right," "more than enough," "too tight," "way too tight," "way-way-way-too-tight" and "its never coming off again." :lol:

p_062.jpg

07119963355.jpg

31601005.jpg
42020002.jpg

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score

I have always taken the owners manual's advice to heart. To "screw up" even firmly does not take a lot of aptitude. :roll:

I vaguely recall a time when oil filters would come with a rubber o ring and a new aluminum washer for the drain plug. (Maybe even a replacement washer for the oil filter housing bolt too.) Applying 45 ft/lbs to the plug would almost surely crush that washer and necessitate its replacement with every few uses. Being a little easier on the torque or "firmly" seems to make everything last longer, including not only the aluminum washer but the threads in the aluminum alloy oil pan. :wink:

Although I can't say I have looked that hard, I cannot recall seeing a "screw up" recommendation or specific torque value for the oil filter housing, which, presumably would see similar usage as the drain plug. Instead of "firmly", I have found applying "enough" or "just enough" torque to that part seems to work best. Unfortunately, none of my torque wrenches bear such markings. Fortunately, to the best of my limited knowledge, I have never had a leaky pan plug or oil filter bolt on an E9, E3 or E10 and prefer to keep it that way.

Curious which of the unwritten recommendations the "quicklube" shops follow: "almost enough," "just about right," "more than enough," "too tight," "way too tight," "way-way-way-too-tight" and "its never coming off again." :lol:

p_062.jpg

07119963355.jpg

31601005.jpg
42020002.jpg

How about "Did I even remember to replace the drain plug?"

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
My juvenile alter self wants to reply:

"Tighten till it strips, then back off a quarter turn."

Wait, I guess I am my juvenile self.........