Odometer

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Odometer is not working. Speedo is working. Any suggestion on where to start looking?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is a typical problem on these units caused by one of the gears slipping on a shaft. I had this problems a few months ago and sent the speedo to North Hollywood Speedometer for repair and cleaning. Might be closer if you are S.Cal.

Of course, as soon as I got the repaired/cleaned unit back, I had to send in all the other instruments for cleaning as they looked dingy in comparison.

Honolulu

Reaction score
You could fix it yourself.

Odometer malfunction(s) are legend in BMW 2002s and 3.0CSs. The '02 crowd has long had the knowledge and ability to repair their odometers. Admittedly, those cars make it MUCH easier to access the innards of the speedo head.

I've done several 2002 odometers and assuming the coupe unit is similar: the gray gear to the right of the odometer number wheels is supposed to be fixed to the shaft but over time it slips and no longer drives the number wheels to the left of it. Result: odometer no workie.

The heart of the problem is fixed thus: remove the "axle" or shaft on which the number wheels and gray gear reside. Note closely the position of the gray gear. Carefully with a ball pein hammer, slightly dimple or peen the shaft where the gray gear sits, so that it no longer freewheels on the shaft. Reassemble and your problem should be gone.

You can even reset the gears to read all zeroes but this is likely a federal case, so I didn't and wouldn't tell you to do that.

Other respondents, there are other speedo repair shops but one is in some disrepute. Let's be honest (and I've forgotten which) and suggest via PM to the OP which not to do business with.

Also, if I've got this wrong, y'all can tell me. I will admit my coupe odo hasn't worked since I got it, almost 20 years ago. In that time there have been many 2002s...

Look here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/83423-odometer-repair/?hl=odometer+repair#entry127020

And here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/_/technical-articles/body-and-interior/odometer-repair-r42

Now I will readily grant that Hans und Fritz, possibly under the influence of Helga, made the coupe cluster hellacious difficult to get into. Be they cursed for that. Then they made the little chrome rings crimp things together. Doubly may they be accurst. But it's still doable, and you'll have really nice clean instrument faces if you get into all them and clean the dust off the faces and from the backs of the glass. BTDT on my last 2002, only weeks ago, and the result is really nice. Now for the rest of the car... oops sold it already. Sheesh.

Last edited:

m_thompson

Reaction score
I sent mine to North Hollywood Speedometer when the odometer died. The did a great job at a reasonable price. Unfortunately the inside face of the spedometer now looks new and the tachometer does not look as nice.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you DIY there is a company called Odometer Gears (believe it or not) that might help with parts and advice.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you DIY there is a company called Odometer Gears (believe it or not) that might help with parts and advice.

I just repaired mine last week.
Yes, Odometer Gears has parts and the knowledge.
For $25 I got a new gear and was able to replace it.
It's a little tricky but certainly do-able with some patience.
Jeff at Odometer Gears is frequently a sponsor at The Vintage and also sponsors the Rally at Ofest.
http://www.odometergears.com/

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also did this repair on my 635csi odometer and it was quite straight forward and easy. The hardest part was getting the instrument cluster out which took about 30min.

CMWalker

Reaction score
I've yet to utilize Jeff's odometer gears services. But I met him at O'Fest in Elkhart Lake a couple years ago. I can attest to his skills as a euchre player! He's also pretty good at knocking back adult beverages!

Excellent guys all around.