Nice UK CSL

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No offense intended.. but

Besides the fact that the steering wheel is on the wrong side is there any reason that the RHD CSL's are so much less $ than the LHD? Seems to me it would just take a little getting used to and plus it makes it easier to get the mail. Just sayin'

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
re.Inka CSL

Mmmmmm. The last time I believe I saw this car it was in the hands of 4* Classics who appear to share the same address in Bramley, Kent. At the time(2012/3) they had a number of Citypacks on their hands and, for me, this one was not the most convincing example. John.

Nash

Reaction score
RHD CSLs

Since we have seen LHD CSLs reach six figures in the last couple of years, I have been wondering when the RHD CSLs would start to catch up, not all the way of course, but certainly the gap seems overly large now.

The RHD CSLs are all City Pack, but then so are most of the LHD ones.

RHD CSLs should all have Aluminum hood (bonnet) trunk (boot)and door skins, this cannot be said for all the LHD, not even all the BATs, although it can for the first 169 carb cars.

So RHD are never the lightest CSLs, the bumpers certainly do not help, but I do understand they were all built pretty much to the same specification and to be guaranteed aluminum panels is a nice start.

The price we are seeing for this particular RHD, is as high as I have seen, but it is a great color. Should RHD be worth less than LHD, comparing like for like condition wise........yes, absolutely. But should the gap be as big as it generally is, forgetting this car and its price......I think not.

I would rather have a great RHD, than an inferior LHD and there certainly seems to be enough RHD cars advertised between 35k and 50 UK Pounds, which is $55k -$80k Us dollars range, which is now the range for a really good CSI. As long as you don't mind sitting on the other side or if you collect a lot of mail :) seems like something worth considering.

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So if I wanted to buy this thing and get it to the USA is there someone I can hire to deal with all the shipping and title logistics? It's a "classic" car so it is exempt from FMVSS ... makes it easier. I just frankly dont want to deal with paperwork and registration hell w USA customs and California DMV.

Just getting my coupe registered from Mass to CA was annoying ... can only imagine the stress of sending 90k to a UK seller, dropping 4-6k on shipping and then have it stuck at the doc or confiscated by CA DMV. Give me the easy button and I'm buying cars from Europe.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I sponsor some car forums at work, and recently a long term poster I've known for years started a thread about his company, Orchid Euro Imports. Rough estimate to have them import a car is $3k, but taxes and whatnot on a $96k CSL will probably be more.

Easy button? Email [email protected] and let them know what you want done. They import old stuff stateside all of the time and they'll be able to give you some info.

Just promise me that if you get a CSL I can drop by and check it out.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shipping and importation

Gents

For what its worth, I only use one company http://www.cosdel.com/main.php, for shipping, they handle absolutely everything for me. They are based in San Francisco so well aware of CA idiosyncrasies. They have brought cars in from many countries for me, but the UK is one of their sweet spots, they have recently opened their own office there. They will also arrange escrow of the money and car if needed.

There is no problem bringing it in, the paperwork is minimal (well in WA it is, can't talk for CA)you will have 2.5% duty to pay. I have found the charges when all added up - not including duty - from the uk, tend to be around the $5k per car. Its funny you will get quotes of $3k, but you have to ask what that includes, often it is just the rental of a shared container on the ship, try and make sure you get shared ( with only one other car) if you can. Then there are lots of smaller charges, which you will be thanking the "unions" for at the docks and if it gets pulled for inspection, you will also get charged for that as well.

Cosdel, handle most of the cars for Pebble Beach and with the rules that can catch you out, I have found them invaluable. That said, they will not be the cheapest, but for the little extra, I have found them to be the best value for peace of mind.

Obviously only my own experience and I can't talk for the other company mentioned, but I am certainly happy to give advice or guidance to anybody trying to bring one in.

Pete

Last edited:

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great feedback guys. Will def look in to both co's. Makes me feel a lot better to have reco's from this forum.

That CSL is quite enticing.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Ive never imported a car, so I only have second hand info on my recommendation, so some due diligence is in order. I'd check Petes company out first since he has dealt with them directly.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fees.

I just thought while we are on the subject, if it helps anybody in their thought process. Here are some of the latest charges I had on a BMW 502 I brought in from Holland.

The "foreign charges" which was picking up the car, taking to the docks, export formalities and ocean freight to Tacoma WA, was $4k, this was more than normal because of the transport to the docks in Holland.

Then the little charges that add up I was mentioning once it hits the USA.

Customs security transmission = $25
Import Brokerage and clearance = $350
EPA and DOT forms = $50
Terminal handling charge = $415
Customs Xray exam = $220
Customs Tailgate Exam = $220
Demurrage ( 1 day) = $222
Pick up container = $395
Unloading = $350
Warehouse Receiving Repo = $ 50
Chassis usage ( 2 days) = $70
Fedex =$30

As you can see there is a very down and dirty $2.5 k to be added once it hits the Teamsters boys here :)

Obviously some of the small fees can be saved by doing it yourself, filling in forms etc, but you don't save that much and for the added stress, I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Pete

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like that!

Another very nice looking car RHD here:

http://www.avantgardecars.co.uk/cars/

That does look nice.

I am headed to the port of Jacksonville next week to pick up an old Alfa coming in from Sweden. It's my first import experience. Will let you know what I find in terms of fees, etc. The customs officer I spoke with was actually very helpful and knowledgeable and told me in two minutes what I needed to bring (one EPA form, one DOT form, money, Bill of Sale, the Swedish title, etc).

The alternative was going with someone like Cosdel International. It is run by Martin Button, who is very involved in the Pebble Beach Concours, etc. Based in SF, they probably would be very helpful I getting a car into CA from Europe. They are a "turnkey" solution that can bring the car to your front door from abroad, from what I understand. A buddy brought in a carbed 365 BB Ferrari from Europe though them, but that was to Florida.

Scott