Nice one

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sigh...

If I was starting the coupe thing all over, this is the car of my dreams including the colour - well that and Nachtblu.

I would not change a thing. I promise.

Don

Reaction score
I've been tracking this site (and enjoying it) for 15 mo. trying to locate an e9 that meets my everchanging criteria. This one falls at one end of the scale, and could be a keeper. Would appreciate knowing if anyone is near this car, who could evaluate it for me (or others)? I sure would like to get an experienced sizing up of the vehicle.

D B Couper

Reaction score
It IS a Nice One

I am the confused owner of the Agave coupe referred to on here. I need some counseling from the experts on this board...as I said I am confused.

There are a few fully restored cars that sell for upwards of $50K and there are projects that sell for $5-10K. Is there a market for an unrestored car with no discernible rust that is in excellent condition for $30K? If yes, why has there been so little interest in this one? If no, what should I do?

There seems to be lots of grousing about no underbody photos yet cars get sold without them. I have fully documented this car with photos yet little activity. WHat's the problem?

The talk on here is that it costs $25-35K to restore a rust filled coupe. Isn't this one free then compared to all those that need rust repair? What am I missing?

I have tired to follow all the advice on here to do this right and have told the whole story truthfully. Is that not the right thing to do?

I'm confused.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only thing I would add would be more photos of the areas that are typically rust prone. Many people are fixated on undercarriage shots too, so anything you can add there would be useful.

I think the price is right and the color combo is beautiful. I am surprised myself! You should be getting offers.

tmason

Reaction score
Hi D B
You have a very nice car and sorry you have to sell it.You don't find to many cars 40+ years old with the original paint job and most of the records from new!Stick to your guns on your price because you will get it at some point.
Good luck,Tim.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Stan,

Did you see the 40+ Photos of the rust prone areas on the flickr link in the eBay listing? They include strut towers from above and below, cowl area above and below, rockers, door bottoms, spare tire well, rear shock towers above and below and many others. What else should I show?

This is a great car. I am sorry to be selling it but have to and I think someone is going to love it for a long time...I just need to find that one.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Until (not saying it should or will) the market for original E9's overtakes modified versions an original 2800 will probably lag behind a lot of other variants that offer an opportunity to modify or customize at a lower entry point.

Also, I would put the cost of restoring a rust filled coupe at double the 25-35k estimate.

This looks to be a great car!

GroupeB

Reaction score
Restored vs original

While I will not get into the whole 2800CS versus 3.0CS discussion, I bought an Agave 3.0CS carb car car, have dumped a significant amount of money into it, and will end up with a rust fee, repainted but origiinal interior car. I dare not state the cost to get there. When done it will look remarkably like this one, but mostly refinished. They are original only once.... While doing that I found a 47,000 mile one owner rust free car (the undercarriage is even better than this one, but just) and bought it sight unseen for far less than I will have in the 'restored' one.

If you want as good a car as I have seen, and can deal with the sheer mileage it has, this car looks a gem. Buy it. Known seller, he has been on the forum for awhile, this is a no BS vehicle.

And they look great in Agave with tan.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agree... only original once and eventually like the "other" German marques, original cars will be the "ones".

TodB

Reaction score
Also, I would put the cost of restoring a rust filled coupe at double the 25-35k estimate.

And again.

I think your price is fine, if not low based upon the prices we hear about coming out of California a la RonP and others.

dbower

Reaction score
Hemmings

If you have not already done so, post it on Hemmings. That's where the serious buyers go. On my recent sale, 75% of the serious interest (and the eventual buyer) came from there. Your pricing is right on.

Don

D B Couper

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input. I have taken all the feedback I have gotten and especially that in phone conversations and have decided to give eBay one more chance with a reserve auction format since Hemmings just closed a week ago and it will be a while for the next issue dead line. If you know anyone looking for a great car have them reply here or through eBay. If anyone has pull with Bring a Trailer, propose it there for me, if you please. Thanks all.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Put it on the online Hemmimgs? Does anyone read the brown phone book version anymore?

Thanks for all your input. I have taken all the feedback I have gotten and especially that in phone conversations and have decided to give eBay one more chance with a reserve auction format since Hemmings just closed a week ago and it will be a while for the next issue dead line. If you know anyone looking for a great car have them reply here or through eBay. If anyone has pull with Bring a Trailer, propose it there for me, if you please. Thanks all.

bubukitty

Reaction score
I do......I love the paper edition. Seems that there are cars in the actual magazine that are not on the web site too.