New to E9's with our '72 3.0 CS

Impslap

Reaction score
Recently my brother and I have been on the hunt for "interesting cars". Our current stable is rather eclectic with all manner of Porsches, VW, Mercedes-Benz, Chevy, Pontiac, Ford etc. What we have been missing is BMW's.
We originally set out to buy an M6 but then my brother fell in love with the E9. As this would be the first classic under his care I sought out a clean example and stumbled across a nice M30/5-speed swapped E9 on ebay. I almost lost it but was able to put one last bid at the last second to lock it down.
The seller, was very accomodating and offered to repair some minor issues that he disclosed before delivery.
I flew out to SoCal and drove out to Orange Country to meet the seller, Norman, and take delivery. It was a nice touch to know he was a true car guy and hardcore Alfa Romeo enthusiast. He had some amazing GTV's in his stable that just blew me away.
My original plan was to drive it back to Texas but we decided to have it thoroughly gone through one last time before proceeding. It is currently parked at a condo we stay at in West Hollywood.
I was amazed at the attention this car gets, even in car jaded Beverly Hills.
Here's some pics:
Taking delivery:

At it's temporary home in WeHo

Engine shot:

On the road:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome- that's way too cool! Beautiful looking e9. Where in Texas? I'm in Austin and we have a few e9'rs down this way.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great for both buyer and seller, I inspected this coupe and the price was very fair. Glad it's found a new home.

Impslap

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We're based in El Paso, TX but spend a lot of time in SoCal.
My plans are also to lower it and swap out wheels, but the stock look has grown on me too.
I'm towing it down to Bimmerdoc in LaJolla next week to get some work done now that a valet at a fancy Beverly Hills hotel messed up the shifter (hopefully that's all) today. :sad: I figure I will have them knock a couple other typical old-german-car items out while it's there.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
lovely car, yellow higbeams give a singular touch of colour
a pity the odd engine instead what a original CS should have there, but probably you will find easier to maintain
love the wheels

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
lovely car, yellow higbeams give a singular touch of colour
a pity the odd engine instead what a original CS should have there, but probably you will find easier to maintain
love the wheels

I dunno, I think it actually ADDs value. Especially if fitted w/1.3 Motronic.

3.5L w/an L-jet > 3.0L w/carbs.

It's not a CSL so I don't think it matters on engine originality.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps more of a Euro and US perspective. In the US these mods can enhance value if done properly. I would imagine but could be wrong that there are few 3.5 swaps done to euro coupes?

...fairly subjective, there is a type of owner that does that sort of swaps, but europe is not one only country, i can not explain what do others think/feel
incidentally, i know people in the us that can be proud of keeping a most period correct 2.8 coupes ;-)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We certainly appreciate both original, restored and modified coupes. It's fairly obvious I prefer originality but I also put a 3.5 in my coupe. It was a very hard decision for me that took a couple of years to decide to go forward. My NK is modified subtly with 2000 Tii grilles and door cards but the 2800 sedan will remain bone stock, it deserves it after hiding for 44 years in a garage after all!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
as more buyers come to the e9, originality will become more important, just like other marques.

Impslap

Reaction score
I didn't expect this thread has come to be a debate of original vs upgraded/modified.
100% originality was not a concern for me much as condition and the ability to not worry about carb settings, etc.
To those who don't like it, be happy with what you have. I don't need "pity" or approval from the "purists" to happy with what I have. :p

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn't expect this thread has come to be a debate of original vs upgraded/modified.
100% originality was not a concern for me much as condition and the ability to not worry about carb settings, etc.
To those who don't like it, be happy with what you have. I don't need "pity" or approval from the "purists" to happy with what I have. :p

Nice car, wrong response tone.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Perhaps more of a Euro and US perspective. In the US these mods can enhance value if done properly. I would imagine but could be wrong that there are few 3.5 swaps done to euro coupes?

Hi Guy's,

Can't but agree with Chris here. I'm always scratching my head when looking at these modified E 9's and the way you guys in the US seem to appreciate them. But hé, I remember that putting a Corvette V8 in the a Porsche 911 is also something that is done in the US.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Not all threads go the way you expect them. No one is knocking your car; it's just some people are voicing their preference; that's all.