New SF/Marin Member

James

Reaction score
Hi everybody. One of my earliest memories is sneaking into the garage and sitting in my dad's 74 3.0 CS, feeling the wheel, smelling the leather and gasoline, and listening to the clock's mechanical tic-tic tic-tic.

This past September, my girlfriend and I took that same Chamonix e9 up the coast for a weekend getaway and some abalone diving. The first night we drove into Guerneville for dinner and as I was parking, a guy pulls up in a Volvo Bertone and compliments me on the car, adding that he owns a shop in town and knows a guy with a couple of "those BMWs" for sale. I immediately exchange numbers with the guy and agree to meet up the following afternoon.

The following day, we head to the coast, I get my limit of abs, and we head back towards Guerneville. Once I get reception, I start calling. No answer. I probably called ten times. I was frustrated, but the girlfriend was being a good sport, so we drove into town anyway. Kept calling, no answer. So I started looking for the shop he mentioned. After half an hour or so, on the outskirts of town, heading east, I saw a small garage with a bunch of Volvos, 2002s and some American iron. I slam on the brakes, leave it running, squeak open the door, and find an old Alfa GTV Junior and an early e24 inside. And there is the guy from the previous evening. He's somewhat busy working on the Alfa, but I am excited and nagging. I head back out to the car, shut it off, come back with the girlfriend and an abalone, and we were headed off to look at the car in a matter of minutes.

After 30 minutes of driving back to the West, along the river, in the redwoods under an old cover, there was a car parked across the street from a beautiful house on the Russian River. In the garage there was a beautiful e9 parked next to a 2002. This CS looked to be nicer than what I wanted to spend, but I was curious about what was across the street. I was introduced to the owner, who was a very nice guy. Apparently both were for sale, more or less, though neither had been formally listed. The nice one was more expensive, as expected, but across the street, the cover was removed and I was intrigued. There was mold on the crappy white paint, some rust bubbles, but I hopped in, and though he said he hadn't driven it in 3 months, with the help of a little starter fluid, she fired right up! I took her for a test drive, and everything felt great, a squeaky belt and bit of an exhaust leak, but altogether good.

Needless to say, and to end an altogether too long introduction, I was back in a few days and bought the car for what seemed like a very fair price. I drove the car until it started raining, and have planned on restoring it this winter. I'm a crab fisherman, and our season here has been postponed. The catch 22 is that now I have plenty of free time, yet feel like I can't spend the money on the car when I'm not working. She sits at my dad's house now, nestled between his 74 e9, and my brother's 74 Bavaria. I've always wanted one, and I'm enjoying fixing her up.

That's it for now!

James

James

Reaction score
And a few photos, from when I found her, and when I brought her home.

Attachments

• 20151006_164253.jpg
    20151006_164253.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 208
  • 20151012_183252.jpg
    20151012_183252.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 20151212_152957.jpg
    20151212_152957.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 184

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like you're upside down from the start! (That's a joke BTW)

You have a 73, someone flipped the front bumper guards right to left, the 73 is unique. So when you get a chance swap them back. Congrats on your purchase.

James

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll do that. Yea, I noticed the photos after I posted, but am still figuring this whole thing out. They were right side up on my computer. But, yes, I'd say its fitting!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll do that. Yea, I noticed the photos after I posted, but am still figuring this whole thing out. They were right side up on my computer. But, yes, I'd say its fitting!

What JPG viewer are you using on your computer? Many has a setting that will auto-rotate. Be sure to turn that off so you see what you get.

I use IRFANVIEW to view JPGs and has such a setting.

James

Reaction score
What JPG viewer are you using on your computer? Many has a setting that will auto-rotate. Be sure to turn that off so you see what you get.

I use IRFANVIEW to view JPGs and has such a setting.

I have no idea. Windows 10 is confusing. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Flipped 'em

Here are the photos, rotated and adjusted a bit.
Your software is auto rotating them to make them upright, but doesn't save them that way. If you crop them a bit and save, that could be enough.

Many years ago I had a friend who lived in Guerneville. Lovely area. Went swimming in the Russian River. We both had air cooled VWs at that time, now both have BMWs.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Ian

Attachments

• 20151212_152957.jpg
    20151212_152957.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 20151012_183252.jpg
    20151012_183252.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20151006_164253.jpg
    20151006_164253.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 185

James

Reaction score
Here are the photos, rotated and adjusted a bit.
Your software is auto rotating them to make them upright, but doesn't save them that way. If you crop them a bit and save, that could be enough.

Many years ago I had a friend who lived in Guerneville. Lovely area. Went swimming in the Russian River. We both had air cooled VWs at that time, now both have BMWs.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Ian

Thanks for the fix. Its a lovely area, and I get the feeling there are a lot of interesting cars hidden back in the woods there.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
I thought things were upside down in Austrailia. Didn't know the Marin headlands were upside down. :p

Great purchase. I'm south of you on the Peninsula, and man do I love taking my Coupe up into the wine country.

Here's a shot I took after my Dad went bombing around in my car on Fathers Day last year.

Gorgeous part of the world to enjoy a Coupe. Welcome!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice find James. I know that area well. That garage you found with the 02's has been there for a long time. I was just there about four months ago. Owner was not there on a Sunday. Now I wish he was. That whole area used to get flooded out every few years. Make sure you check for prior water damage. I'm sure you know that being a crab fisherman from there. But if far enough back in the redwoods should be fine other than it says pretty moist back there, no sunlight.

I looked through the 02's along the fence in the front of the shop and didn't see any that were really salvageable. But hey, this is an e9 site, not 02' site so congrats on the e9 find. Can't wait to see the progress. Any shots of your brother's e3? If you do; post on the e3 forum here and make sure you add all these to the e9/e3 registry respectively. Have fun!!